cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4235 on a DIGI Console Manager

jerrod-howard
Level 1
Level 1

We have a test lab set up where we beta all our configs. I am in the process of testing v5 on a 4235 IDS sensor and am prepping to test the new version of CiscoWorks and Protego.

ALl of our equipment is connected from the serial console port to a Digi. Everything works except the 4235. I can plug my laptop directly into the console port and term in just fine. But with all the settings the same, the DIGI will not connect. Did anyone ever experience this and if so, come up with a solution? Thanks.

Jerrod

3 Replies 3

scothrel
Level 3
Level 3

Jerrod,

Did you ever hear anything back offline about this issue? We do not have DIGI managers so I cannot help directly. Perhaps indirectly...we have had some issues with console managers that allow "outbound Telnet"...that is, the console port outputs characters during boot and causes the console manager to think that we are trying to establish an outbound session...which locks us out from establishing a remote inbound session.

Scott

rwassom
Level 1
Level 1

Jerrod,

Make sure you are using the red console port adapter (Cisco P/N 29-4077-01) and the appropriate cable (rollover or straight through) for your application. The signals need to be inverted between your terminal server and the red adapter, so it will depend on whether the signals on your term server's RJ45 ports have already been rolled or not.

See the Hardware Installation Guide at the following URL for details:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids10/hwguide/hwintro.htm#wp479421

-Rusty

I finally figured out what the problem was, stumbled upon it by chance actually. In the BIOS of the sensor, as I was setting a new one up and setting the console redirect to always be on, I noticed that the protocol was either ANSI or VT220/100. It was defaulted to ANSI, and I set it to the older VT220/100 and voila, popped right up. Why it would matter I don't know since the DIGI is speced to read ANSI, but with the VT220/100 enabled, works like a charm. Thanks for the help everyone.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card