cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5506X - Cannot access ASDM

spiraborate.seu
Level 1
Level 1

I m using asa 5506x, my cisco adaptive security appliance software version 9.6(1)
device manager version 7.6(1) and using java (jre-7u79-windows-x64).my problem is i can run the asdm launcher and is update its software 100 % and at the end its not open the GUI console, i downgrade the java from 8 to 7 try to create browser certificate and put it in java manage certification's and give the asdm ip in java exception list.but still seems asdm is loading but not open the GUI console.i get the java error report which is link that................

===============================================================

Server Version = 7.6(1)
Server Launcher Version = 1.7.0, size = 775168 bytes
invoking SGZ Loader..
Cache location = C:/Users/Shohag/.asdm/cache
2017-04-26 10:57:20,216 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
0 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
2017-04-26 10:57:20,251 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@2a9b5828
35 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@2a9b5828
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@2a9b5828
java.lang.NullPointerException
  at r9.co(r9.java:646)
  at r9.b(r9.java:478)
  at r9.<init>(r9.java:302)
  at com.cisco.pdm.PDMApplet.start(PDMApplet.java:168)
  at com.cisco.nm.dice.loader.Loader$1.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in Starting Main window
Exception in thread "SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet" java.lang.NullPointerException
  at com.cisco.pdm.PDMApplet.start(PDMApplet.java:175)

=====================================================

what should i do about this situation?.................please give me suggestion

Thanks
Shohag

5 Replies 5

I have the Excact same problem. Did you solve it?

Application Logging Started at Tue May 23 10:47:39 CEST 2017
---------------------------------------------
Local Launcher Version = 1.7.0
Local Launcher Version Display = 1.7(0)
OK button clicked
Trying for ASDM Version file; url = https://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:4443/admin/
Server Version = 7.6(1)
Server Launcher Version = 1.7.0, size = 775168 bytes
Launcher version checking is successful.
invoking SGZ Loader..
Cache location = C:/Users/raj.ALUCAITER/.asdm/cache
2017-05-23 10:48:00,054 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
0 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
2017-05-23 10:48:00,194 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@921e35
140 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@921e35
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@921e35
Exception in thread "SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet" java.lang.NullPointerException
at deb.<init>(deb.java:215)
at dan.<init>(dan.java:134)
at cvh$a.<init>(cvh$a.java:547)
at cvh.<init>(cvh.java:105)
at com.cisco.pdm.util.Env.getCurrentUser(Env.java:610)
at mi.a(mi.java:2066)
at mi.a(mi.java:180)
at mi.a(mi.java:140)
at com.cisco.pdm.PDMApplet.start(PDMApplet.java:155)

Problem Solved. Mismatch between ADSM and ASA Software. See Compatibility matrix here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html#pgfId-121785

Hi, please can you tell us how dis you resolved it exatly , I don't know how to use this matrix !!

please help .

thank you 

In my case - I had already downloaded the new ASDM version on my ASA but had failed to mark it as the one to run.

I used Putty to SSH into my ASA, then flipped to enable mode.

I did a "show run" to see the running config - at the very top it showed "ASA Version 9.14(1)" so I know from the matrix Table 2 (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html#pgfId-121785) I can see the ASDM version I needed was 7.14(1)

continuing through the config that displayed I found a line that said "asdm image disk0:/asdm-7131-101.bin" - picking apart the numbers we know this means that it's trying to use "ASDM 7.13(1)-101"

I was lucky in that I had already downloaded the new ASDM - and I confirmed this by running "dir" in the console to show what files were already on flash - I found "asdm-7141-48.bin" sitting there.  Had that not been there I would have needed to use a tftp server to download the image onto the ASA (lots of info on how to transfer files via TFTP out there)

to fix it, I simply ran the following lines:

ASA# config t
ASA(config)# no asdm image disk0:/asdm-7131-101.bin
ASA(config)# asdm image disk0:/asdm-7141-48.bin
ASA(config)# wr

note - the wr at the end is to make sure your changes are saved to flash for next boot.

after this change I was able to open the ASDM launcher without issue.

jlcavazos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

I don't know if this is useful for some of you, but I can make it work in Windows 10. Here is some info:

Hardware: ASA5540, 2048 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 4 2000 MHz
ASA Version: 9.1(5)21
ASDM Version: 7.3(2)102

After many tries, the functional Java version was: Java 7 Update 21

- No need for certificate installation.

- Change target on shortcut and program to: C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe invisible.vbs run.bat

- Installing ASDM using (old) Internet Explorer.

- Allowing my ASA FQDN on IE Trusted Sites (https://asaname_or_ipaddress)

I hope this will be useful for anyone.

Regards!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card