Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA FirePower

Hi all, 

As i know FirePower have IPS capability on it, and i have no ASA 5508. I see at the Home screen the ASA FirePower Status tab, but in the Configuration part i don't see the option for it. Also they saying they need an SSD on it. How can i check if this ASA i capable of this module ?

And also i have license for this module so how to implement it ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oliver Kaiser
Level 7
Level 7

ASA 5500-X series firewalls are capable of running firepower services. To verify that your firewall if capable of running firepower services please let us know the model (you just said you dont have ASA 5508?).

A SSD drive is required to install firepower services. To verify that a SSD is built into your firewall, verify by using the following command and posting the output here (without serial numbers ofc).

ASA# show inventory

To install firepower services you may want to check the quickstart guide and/or installation guide.

If you have any specific questions implementation wise please let me know. The two linked documents will get you started.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Oliver Kaiser
Level 7
Level 7

ASA 5500-X series firewalls are capable of running firepower services. To verify that your firewall if capable of running firepower services please let us know the model (you just said you dont have ASA 5508?).

A SSD drive is required to install firepower services. To verify that a SSD is built into your firewall, verify by using the following command and posting the output here (without serial numbers ofc).

ASA# show inventory

To install firepower services you may want to check the quickstart guide and/or installation guide.

If you have any specific questions implementation wise please let me know. The two linked documents will get you started.

Hi Kaisero, 

Thank you for replying. I have the following information:

For the "#show inventory":

Name: "Chassis", DESCR: "ASA 5508-X with FirePOWER services, 8GE, AC, DES"
PID: ASA5508 , VID: V01 , 
Name: "Storage Device 1", DESCR: "ASA 5508-X SSD"
PID: ASA5508-SSD , VID: N/A , 

For the model:

Hardware: ASA5508, 8192 MB RAM, CPU Atom C2000 series 2000 MHz, 1 CPU (8 cores)
Internal ATA Compact Flash, 8192MB
BIOS Flash unknown @ 0x0, 0KB

show module

Mod Card Type Model Serial No.
---- -------------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
1 ASA 5508-X with FirePOWER services, 8GE, AC, ASA5508 
sfr FirePOWER Services Software Module ASA5508 
Mod MAC Address Range Hw Version Fw Version Sw Version
---- --------------------------------- ------------ ------------ ---------------
1 MAC_ADDRESSto MAC_ADDRESS 1.0 1.1.8 9.5(1)
sfr MAC_ADDRESSto MAC_ADDRESSN/A N/A 5.4.1-211
Mod SSM Application Name Status SSM Application Version
---- ------------------------------ ---------------- --------------------------
sfr ASA FirePOWER Up 5.4.1-211
Mod Status Data Plane Status Compatibility
---- ------------------ --------------------- -------------
1 Up Sys Not Applicable
sfr Up Up

Your ASA is already running the firepower module in version 5.4.1-211. You may proceed by checking the installation guide and configure asdm / firepower management center to manage your firepower module.

I would not recommend ASDM integration since it has some limitations and bugs.

Let me know if everything is clear from the install docs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card