cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA5505 - WAN port's

mustafa.s.raza
Level 1
Level 1

The client is interested to create WAN redundancy for 5, small sites with 15 users.  Each site has MPLS circuit  (Primary) and Internet circuit (backup). I am thinking about positioning  Cisco ASA5505 and i know that it can handle WAN failover/redundancy. However,my understanding is that each ASA5505 comes with single WAN port for ourbound traffic. Having said that, ASA5505 can handle redundancy just fine . However, the client also want to use Internet circuit at some site not only for redundancy but also for surfing the web. My question is, do i need a second ASA5505 knowing it only has single WAN interface that will be used to terminate MPLS router hand off?

Thanks for your help

1 Reply 1

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Mustafa,

For dual ISP support on ASA 5505, you would need the right license feature as well;, on 5505 , you would also need the security plus license, to configure more than 3 vlans on it. By default, the base license has a provision of 2 interafces + 1 interface (DMZ restricted). If you need more, you would need to get the right license for. Just for your reference, here is the license sheet for ASA 5505:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/security/asa/asa82/license/license82.html#wp190062

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card