cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASAV AWS Standard Package - Software Upgrade?

markwtbs
Level 1
Level 1

We had a Cisco ASAV Standard Package virtual appliance installed in our AWS environment and there does not seem to be any available way to obtain the latest software OS to update the OS/firmware.  It requires you to have access via Cisco.com to download the necessary package but i dont see anything listed under my Cisco account.  Under the Support tab in AWS Marketplace it says Community Support Only. Does this mean I cannot upgrade the OS/firmware?

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How did you license it - Bring Your Own License (BYOL) or Amazon-licensed?

If BYOL then you should be able to have your cisco.com account modified for entitlement to the ASAv software downloads.

If Amazon-licensed then you have to deploy a new appliance and restore the config from the old one.

Thanks for your help Marvin!!  Yes It's Amazon Licensed.  Are you saying that we basically to have the latest firmware we have to do this process every single time there is a new OS/firmware? 

If the answer is Yes then would it be better to backup the config of this firewall.  Shut it down in AWS.  And then spin up a new BYOL license firewall and obtain a smart agreement and then restore the config from the old one?  would that work?  Or is it quick and easy to do as you suggest and just deploy a new appliance and restore the config from the old one?  I assume I'll need to shut down the current firewall before restoring the config from the old one correct?

Unless you can get access to the ASAv image then - yes, I believe you would have to follow that cumbersome process.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card