Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FMC and SAML

Hello,

We have Cisco FMC\FTD (Version is 7.0.1) integrated with Azure SAML for Anyconnect MFA, also done integration with Active Directory for other purposes. Authentication works, I can connect to the Anyconnect. But now I need to also provide Authorization (For example, User1 must have access to some servers, but User2 doesn't). How I can do this? 

When I add Authorization in Profile settings, then Authentication is failed. 

IrakliGvishiani_0-1664522001365.png

How I can configure Azure SAML + Authorization by AD Groups? 

14 Replies 14

Good question! I don't think AD can provide any type of authorization, I think you would need to use a RADIUS server to set those attributes. Do you have any RADIUS server in your environment?

Yes, I have Windows NPS Radius Server, which we use for WIFI-Authentication. Also we have Cisco ACS, but we use it just for TACACS. 

I would recommend using ACS, set up the authorization rules to match the users based on their AD group, or even usernames, and then associate the rules with dACLs where you can define their access level. I would also turn on CoA on the FTD and configure the ACS as the authorization server. Also, please keep in mind that you can actually use the ACS for both authentication and authorization, in that case the FTD will point to the ACS and then the ACS will check the users identities against the AD.

But If I use ACS also for authentication, then I need to integrate ACS with Azure-SAML, correct? 

Yeah that's right, however, to keep things simple, you can leave the authentication as is and just use ACS for authorization.

Yes, as I see ACS doesn't support SAML.

I will try, thanks. 

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing and you're welcome.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a RADIUS server (NPS, ISE, old ACS etc.) you can use it for Authorization separately from the Azure AD you use for Authentication via the SAML method.

ISE TME Jason Maynard has created a YouTube video demonstrating the procedure step-by-step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIQL2VJoR0

I will try dACL, as has suggested Aref Alsouqi, because I don't have ISE and unfortunatelly ACS doesn't has capavilities of ISE. 

I'm not sure why FTD Anyconnect bypass traffic after SAML Authentication... But with dACL I can configure some kind of restricted accesses. But in this case I will lose NGFW capabilities of FTD (I mean, for example, IPS), am I correct?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ACS is capable of applying Authorization results based on a RADIUS authentication.

Even if you apply a dACL you still retain the ability to inspect traffic with the full capabilities of the FTD.

Hello,

I have additional question:

I just will do authorization trough Cisco ACS for providing limited accesses (dACL) and then I will create one rule on FMC itself with "monitor" in Action field and apply, for example, IPS, correct?

I configured our FMC in several ways:

1 - I configured Radius Server object on FMC, enable\disabled Dynamic Authentication, but nothing works. On Radius server itself I see next logs:

ACSVersion=acs-5.8.0.32-B.442.x86_64 : ConfigVersionId=140 : Device Port=61652 : RadiusPacketType=AccessRequest : Protocol=Radius : Called-Station-ID=95.*.*.246 : CVPN3000/ASA/PIX7.x-DAP-Tunnel-Group-Name=Anyconnect : AD-User-Candidate-Identities=irakli.gvishiani@*.com : StepData=9=Irakli.Gvishiani@*.com : StepData=10=*.com : StepData=11=*.com : StepData=13=STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD,ERROR_INVALID_PASSWORD,irakli.gvishiani@*.com : Device IP Address=172.31.254.253

2 - I configured Radius Server object on FMC and enable just Authorization (Authorize only), but nothing works. On Radius server itself I see next logs:

ACSVersion=acs-5.8.0.32-B.442.x86_64 : ConfigVersionId=141 : Device Port=61652 : RadiusPacketType=AccessRequest : Protocol=Radius : Service-Type=Authorize Only : Called-Station-ID=95.*.*.246 : CVPN3000/ASA/PIX7.x-DAP-Tunnel-Group-Name=Anyconnect : DetailedInfo=UserName or Password is missing : Device IP Address=172.31.254.253

Also in Authentication I see that username appeared with domain postfix, can It be problem?

IrakliGvishiani_2-1666786397974.png

Because also I use Tacacs for User Authentication\Authorization for Device Access and there usernames are without domain postfix:

IrakliGvishiani_1-1666786327785.png

Have anybody already done SAML + Authorization by AD Groups somehow?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card