Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FTD and FMC

Ramakrishnan V
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, 

I have two no of FTDs which is I need to configure in HA[A/S] in Date Center. As I dont have FMC at initial stage I am going to use to manage FTD thru FDM[native].

Using this FDM I also need to configure interim RAVPN for admin users of various service tracks teams access.

After a month later, I will get FMC.

• Can I bring these 2 FTD into FMC  management ?
  • Will I face any issue while doing this?
  • Will RAVPN setup get impacted with this.  
  • What are the steps/implications I should think off. 

Please guide me. TIA. 

Regards,

Ram

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jmeetze
Level 1
Level 1

Honestly, I think your it would be a lot easier on you to setup the FMC first if your plan is to have an FMC eventually.  FMC will hold all of your configurations including the RAVPN.  FMC will also give you much better management of the appliances, logging, and one central place to push your configurations to both appliances.  

If you have FTD's the FMC license should be included I believe.  We use the virtual FMC and the setup is very simple.  Just configure your management on each FTD, add the FMC as manager, and add into FMC.  Then configure your RAVPN and add your associated policies and rules.  

View solution in original post

@Ramakrishnan V I would recommend waiting to setup the FTDs with the FMC, as not all of the FDM configuration will be migrated to the FMC.

"When you perform initial setup using FDM, all interface configuration completed in FDM is retained when you switch to FMC for management, in addition to the Management and manager access settings. Note that other default configuration settings, such as the access control policy or security zones, are not retained."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/management-center/device-config/740/management-center-device-config-74/get-started-device-management.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jmeetze
Level 1
Level 1

Honestly, I think your it would be a lot easier on you to setup the FMC first if your plan is to have an FMC eventually.  FMC will hold all of your configurations including the RAVPN.  FMC will also give you much better management of the appliances, logging, and one central place to push your configurations to both appliances.  

If you have FTD's the FMC license should be included I believe.  We use the virtual FMC and the setup is very simple.  Just configure your management on each FTD, add the FMC as manager, and add into FMC.  Then configure your RAVPN and add your associated policies and rules.  

@Ramakrishnan V I would recommend waiting to setup the FTDs with the FMC, as not all of the FDM configuration will be migrated to the FMC.

"When you perform initial setup using FDM, all interface configuration completed in FDM is retained when you switch to FMC for management, in addition to the Management and manager access settings. Note that other default configuration settings, such as the access control policy or security zones, are not retained."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/management-center/device-config/740/management-center-device-config-74/get-started-device-management.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card