cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FTD VPN access / Geolocation block for Control Plane

Umer Khan
Level 1
Level 1

We have Cisco FTD 2110s that are managed with FMC and we are trying to figure out how to block access to our remote access VPN by IP. We already have a geolocation block for Access Control in FMC. But, are we still not able to do geo-ip-based restrictions for the control plane traffic?

9 Replies 9

@Umer Khan unfortunately geo-block to the FTD is not possible at present. You can either use a traditional control-plane ACL (guide), configure a device in front of the FTD to block based on Geolocation or DUO 2FA provides that ability.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FTD (any management type) does not currently have a feature to restrict remote access VPN by Geolocation. The current recommendation from Cisco is to combine your VPN with an MFA solution like Cisco Duo where you can restrict by Geolocation. (Microsoft Authenticator can also do as do most MFA solutions.)

bcoverstone
Level 1
Level 1

I will request this feature for the next beta release.

@bcoverstone FYI there is already an enhancement request filed for this feature: https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs65322

Submitted 4 years ago....

Enhancement requests are sometimes never filled. It's customers who buy the equipment being vocal that bumps the priority to something that ends up being in the shipping product.

That said, Cisco was saying just this week at Cisco Live EMEA that they hope to ship this feature in FMC/ FTD 7.7, due out in late 2024. There will be no 7.5, so 7.6 will be the next major release, around June/July this year.

This would be a step forward, but not a panacea for global companies. Their firewalls will still be susceptible to trivial DoS attacks as shown in this post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn/preventing-dos-attacks-to-webvpn-service-is-that-possible/m-p/5008162

It's interesting that Cisco PSIRT doesn't care at all. Probably waiting for another major outbreak...

That's exciting news! Do you have any additional info on this? I can't find any video sessions or announcements on this, so I'm watching the Cisco Live events on youtube to see if they make a mention of it there. I'd love to hear more about this, as I'm sure most Firepower admins are as well.

Thanks Marvin!

@dpeldo22 it was mentioned verbally at CL EMEA in February 2024. Cisco rarely published roadmaps publicly, so we just have to wait and see if it indeed appears in version 7.7. For now, 7.6 is still in early beta testing so it will be several months until the 7.7 beta even kicks off and - at best - late 2024 until it ships.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card