Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE Session Counts

Hello, We would like to purchase Cisco ISE and planning use it for TACACS, Radius Authentication for Corporate SSID and also for Guest SSID (For Guest SSID we would like to use CWA, probably self-registring type). 

As I undesrtand We need Device Administration and Essential Licenses. But what about session counts? How ISE will count sessions in our scenario? 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ammahend
VIP
VIP

for tacacs (device administration license) you need 1 license per psn, irrespective of total number of tacacs sessions (that the hardware or VM can support).

for radius the essential license count should be equal to total consecutive number of devices that will authentication through ise. when device disconnects the license is added back to the pool. Essential license is needed per deployment unlike device administration which is needed 1 per psn that you will use for tacacs. 

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ammahend
VIP
VIP

for tacacs (device administration license) you need 1 license per psn, irrespective of total number of tacacs sessions (that the hardware or VM can support).

for radius the essential license count should be equal to total consecutive number of devices that will authentication through ise. when device disconnects the license is added back to the pool. Essential license is needed per deployment unlike device administration which is needed 1 per psn that you will use for tacacs. 

-hope this helps-

Thanks for your response, ammahend.

Just for the clarification, for example, if I have 200 devices associated with Corporate SSID and 500 devices with Guest SSID (in case of CWA) it's means that I need to purchase 700 sessions? (1-999 Session Bands)

Correct, you also have flexibility to add more licenses as your endpoint count grow.

-hope this helps-
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card