Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE Upgrade

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi 

I have cisco ISE 1.0 which I want to upgrade to ISE 1.3. According to the upgrade path I would need to follow this process

1.0 > 1.1 (apply latest patch) > 1.2 > 1.3

The 1.0 to 1.1 bundle is deferred. So I am thinking of installing a new ISE 1.3 as a virtual appliance and then configuring it from there. I have not too clued up on ISE so I am wondering is there a way of backing up on ISE 1.0 and restoring to 1.3?

If not what would be the best approach?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wow 1.0 to 1.4 is a big leap in functionality. Are you running this in your production network?

The authentication and authorization should continue to work as you have configured them.

Off the top of my head

- you will have to rejoin to the AD domain (if you joined in the first place). Make sure you have the service account credentials to do so.

- guest and other portals have been completely redesigned. If you've done any customization, you're most likely best off scrapping it and rebuilding using the new portal builder tools.

- depending whether you have Base or Advanced 1.0 licenses you will carry through into Base or Apex with 1.3 / 1.4.

- ISE has a ton of other new functionality that may or may not be applicable in your environment.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot restore a backup from 1.0 onto a later version of ISE.

If you open a TAC case, they should be able to provide you with special file access to the 1.0-1.1 upgrade bundle once you explain your case for needing it.

While you're at it, you should move all the way to 1.4 - no good reason to stop at last year's 1.3. :)

Thanks Marvin, btw is there any issues to be aware of or any config changes required during this upgrade process from 1.0 to 1.4

Wow 1.0 to 1.4 is a big leap in functionality. Are you running this in your production network?

The authentication and authorization should continue to work as you have configured them.

Off the top of my head

- you will have to rejoin to the AD domain (if you joined in the first place). Make sure you have the service account credentials to do so.

- guest and other portals have been completely redesigned. If you've done any customization, you're most likely best off scrapping it and rebuilding using the new portal builder tools.

- depending whether you have Base or Advanced 1.0 licenses you will carry through into Base or Apex with 1.3 / 1.4.

- ISE has a ton of other new functionality that may or may not be applicable in your environment.

Yes a big leap, all of a sudden we want to upgrade and we want too upgrade to the latest version :-). It is on a production network on a VM. I think it may be better just installing the new ISE and configuring that. Currently it is only used for the wireless devices.

Thanks

If you don't have a lot of policies or customization then I'd agree a fresh install would seem to make sense.

The multiple upgrades will take you hours and hours - especially if the deployment is multiple nodes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card