Cisco SSM 10 assigning IP to interface

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi everyone,

I have ASA SSM 10 module.

ASA inside interface IP is 192.168.2.x

I have installed the SSM 10 module.

Need to know what IP should I assign to SSM interface?

Below is ASA interface config

interface Ethernet0/0
 nameif MGMT
 security-level 10
 ip address 10.31.2.33 255.255.255.0
!
interface Ethernet0/1
 description Connection to ISP SHAW
 nameif outside
 security-level 0
 ip address dhcp setroute
!
interface Ethernet0/2
 nameif WLC_ASA_5505
 security-level 67
 ip address 10.255.255.2 255.255.255.252

interface Ethernet0/3
 nameif VISITOR
 security-level 50
 ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
!

Regards

Mahesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh,

The SSM physical management interface exists distinct from the base ASA. Since you connect to it independently, you can assign it an IP address in whatever subnet is appropriate in your environment. Just make sure the physical connection goes to a switch interface in the correct VLAN that's associated with that subnet. Usually we use the same subnet as the ASA management interface but that's not required.

View solution in original post

You can assign it an address from the same subnet as the ASA mgmt interface. The SSM IP address is only used for SSM management.

Traffic redirection is done with your service policy in the ASA. The service policy redirects traffic to the IPS via an internal dataplane interface.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh,

The SSM physical management interface exists distinct from the base ASA. Since you connect to it independently, you can assign it an IP address in whatever subnet is appropriate in your environment. Just make sure the physical connection goes to a switch interface in the correct VLAN that's associated with that subnet. Usually we use the same subnet as the ASA management interface but that's not required.

Hi Marvin,

So i can assign it same ASA management interface subnet IP.

If i do that then how i will redirect user traffic to go via SSM inetrface?

Regards

MAhesh

You can assign it an address from the same subnet as the ASA mgmt interface. The SSM IP address is only used for SSM management.

Traffic redirection is done with your service policy in the ASA. The service policy redirects traffic to the IPS via an internal dataplane interface.

Many thanks Marvin.

Regards

Mahesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card