Views
Helpful
Replies

Clarification on inside interface for ASA5506-X

ndjake
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was hired to do some side hustle work recently which included setting up an ASA5506-X with Firepower Module.  Let me preface this by saying that I haven't touched an ASA for 6-7 years so I'm a bit rusty.  The initial setup went just fine and I was able to get it set up with a default route to give the two connected hosts internet access.

I ran into some issue though when attempting to use the "inside" interface in commands.  For example, I wanted to give SSH access to any host on the inside network (ssh 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 inside) I would get an error back stating it was an ambiguous statement.

Similarly, I ran into an issue trying to configure a nat to an inside host using the following command:

nat (inside,outside) static xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I eventually ended up resolving it by specifying which inside port interface on which the host was connected:

nat (inside_4,outside) static xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Did I miss a step in the inital setup to make the ASA recognize the "inside" object or is it the result of the NGFW operating differently?

Thanks,

Jake

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your observed behavior is the result of the new default-config with bridged inside interfaces:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa98/configuration/general/asa-98-general-config/intro-start.html#concept_BE56002F4C3C4B478BDCC44A530076E0
Each "swichport" that belongs to the inside BVI has an individual nameif and is referenced individually.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I suspect your SSH issue might be because you have multiple interfaces starting with the name inside. A software upgrade might fix that.

Your observed behavior is the result of the new default-config with bridged inside interfaces:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa98/configuration/general/asa-98-general-config/intro-start.html#concept_BE56002F4C3C4B478BDCC44A530076E0
Each "swichport" that belongs to the inside BVI has an individual nameif and is referenced individually.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card