Views
Helpful
Replies

config-register not accessible

spoulin11155
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

when i try to make a password recovery i use the command confreg but i omit to put 0x2102 and now im able to boot login to the ASA but the startup-config is not loading the config. here is the MSG: Ignoring startup configuration as instructed by configuration register. I'm not able to boot in ROMMON by hitting ESC like i've done before. It was working beofre and now i don't why but I'm stuck.

Rebooting...
Rom image verified correctly

Cisco Systems ROMMON, Version 1.1.8, RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1994-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 06/18/2015 12:15:56.43 by builders

Current image running: Boot ROM0
Last reset cause: PowerCycleRequest
DIMM Slot 0 : Present

Platform ASA5506 with 4096 Mbytes of main memory
MAC Address: 70:db:98:f3:a0:7b

Located '.boot_string' @ cluster 291981.

#
Attempt autoboot: "boot disk0:/os.img"
Located 'os.img' @ cluster 257862.

###################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################
LFBFF signature verified.
INIT: version 2.88 booting
Starting udev
Configuring network interfaces... done.
Populating dev cache
Detected PID ASA5506.
Found device serial number XXXXXXXXX
Found USB flash drive /dev/sdb
Found hard drive(s): /dev/sda
fsck from util-linux 2.23.2
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offset:original/backup)
65:01/00
Not automatically fixing this.
/dev/sdb1: 49 files, 26169/1919063 clusters

==============================================
Use ESC to interrupt boot and launch boot CLI.
Use SPACE to launch Cisco FTD immediately.
Cisco FTD launch in 26 seconds ...

Thanks for all your help 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks like you are using ASA 5506 that is running FTD (Firepower Threat Defense). Thus, the only way to perform a password-recovery is through a software re-image:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/reimage/asa-ftd-reimage.html 

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks like you are using ASA 5506 that is running FTD (Firepower Threat Defense). Thus, the only way to perform a password-recovery is through a software re-image:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/reimage/asa-ftd-reimage.html 

I hope this helps!

Hi,

Yes I saw that but now I'm stuck. 

In fact I enter confreg without option like this:

rommon1> confreg

rommon2>

and now I'm stuck with that mode cause for some reason I'm not able to use again the ESC or send a BREAK signal in putty or HyperTerminal.

That's my issue.

Thanks you,

Thanks

Do you think the re-imaging will get me out of that mode of confreg?

Thanks.

Yes, follow the steps in the guide in the link that I posted above. You perform the re-image form rommon. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card