cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration Migration from ASA 5505 to 5506X with FirePower

Larry Craig
Level 1
Level 1

I am a little over my head here and don't really understand all the changes.  I am looking for a resource to help me take the 5505 configuration into my 5506X.

Specifically what aspects of the 5505 config have to be changed to use it in the 5506X.  There are a lot of articles out there that hit different points, but I have not really found a Cisco or other document to walk the entire process.  It would be awesome if there was a migration tool.

Thanks for any direction you can supply.

3 Replies 3

Abheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What is the version of current 5505...?

ASA configuration will be similar if you are running version 8.3 or later version in 5505, only thing you need to enable the firepower module for IPS inspections & Malware check.

HTH

Abheesh

So my 5505 is :

ASA Version 8.4(2)8

asdm image disk0:/asdm-714.bin

My 5506X is :

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.8(2)
   Firepower Extensible Operating System Version 2.2(2.52)
   Device Manager Version 7.8(2)

System image file is "disk0:/asa982-lfbff-k8.SPA"

I can share my 5505 Config if that is helpful

What needs to be changed / migrated on the ASA5505 depends on the version you are currently running and if you are using the switch ports on the ASA.

If you are migrating from an ASA running version 8.2 or earlier then you will need to update the configuration for NAT and ACL.  If you are using the switchports on the ASA5505 then you will need to configure BVI interface on the ASA5506 and assign the physical interfaces to the appropriate BVI group.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card