cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating PowerShell script for API on Firepower 1120 (NO FCM, just a standalone chassis managed with FDM)

Chris Schroeder
Level 1
Level 1

I am creating PowerShell script for API on Firepower 1120 (NO FCM, just a standalone chassis managed with FDM).

I have tested the API itself using the FDM "API Explorer" as follows (obviously account names and passwords are not real):

{
"grant_type": "password",
"username": "myradiusaccount",
"password": "myradiuspassword"
}

When pasting this into the API explorer in FDM, I get the expected result. I get a formatted curl result, the correct 200 response and it provides me with the token I use for future requests.

I'm trying to do the exact same thing, but from Powershell.  This is what my script looks like:

$param = '{"grant_type":"password","username":"myradiusaccount",password":"myradiuspassword"}'
$json = $param | ConvertTo-Json

Invoke-RestMethod 'https://x.x.x.x/api/fdm/v5/fdm/token' -Method Post -Body $json -ContentType 'application/json'

However, the result I'm getting - which I'm almost positive is from the firewall API, not from PowerShell - is this:

Invoke-RestMethod : HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server ErrorH1
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;} H2
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;} H3
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;} BODY
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:white;} B
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;} P
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}A {color : black;}A.name {color :
black;}.line {height: 1px; background-color: #525D76; border: none;}HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server Error
At line:1 char:1
+ Invoke-RestMethod 'https://x.x.x.x/api/fdm/v5/fdm/token' -Method P ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-RestMethod], WebE
xception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeRestMethodCommand

These are the stored values of the variable I've built just before it executes the Invoke-RestMethod:

json$ (the body of the post) is:

"{\"grant_type\":\"password\",\"username\":\"myradiususername\",password\":\"myradiuspassword\"}"

Is anyone able to shed any light on why I'm getting a HTTP 500 from the firewall?

Oh, and below is the "cleaned up" status message I'm receiving:

Exception details: 
	Message: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
	Status code: InternalServerError
	Status description: Internal Server Error
	Response: 
0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card