cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA / VMS application?

mx
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have a client who is looking for a way to secure his network users and servers. His requirements are a single sign on for his network (mostly active directory / NT Domain), client and server protection and management of cisco devices. I will be recommending CSA and VMS, is this a good solution? He is especially wanting to manage his wireless access points as far as users, bandwidth usage, rogue AP's, VLANS etc.

Any tips spec'ing a solution is appreciated.

Bob

3 Replies 3

gabelar
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Bob,

CSA is a great solution for protecting end-point (hosts and servers) against worms, viruses and directed attacks. It’s probably the best on the market. It runs on Windows NT 4, 2000, 20003, Solaris 8 and Linux AS and Enterprise Workstation. However CSA isn't a platform that will protect wireless access points as far as users, bandwidth usage, rogue AP's, VLANS etc. It will however protect PC’s (running the above operating systems) that connect to AP, VLAN’s etc.

To me it sounds like your customer could benefit from two SAFE papers, both are at www.cisco.com/go/safe.

1. L2 Application Note – locks down VLANs and protects networks and device from layer two attacks.

2. SAFE Wireless – best practices for locking down a wireless infrastructure.

There is no single “application” or device that will protect against everything you’ve listed above. Be wary if anyone is telling you differently.

Go to www.cisco.com/go/csa to get a firm understanding of the CSA product and what it can do for you. Good luck.

Hi gabelar. Thanks a ton for this information, it is great!

I agree in the fact there is no one stop shopping for what they are trying to do. After a little more research it sees like it will be a suite of products, including CSA, Unrestricted vms, WLANS and maybe NAC??

Hi Bob,

For the wireless rogue APs etc - WLSE is useful.

it can detect the rogue APs and alert you or be configured to aoytomatically shut the switch port attached to the rogue AP down.

http://www.cisco.com/go/wlse

Hope it helps..

-Neale

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card