Views
Helpful
Replies

Determine if there are hardware issues with ASA 5505

bluem9000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have a Cisco ASA 5505 which was working fine for a while with no issues. On Friday we could no longer access the internet. Did some troubleshooting and could not find any issues with our hardware. We also have the ASA configured for VPN (no AD authentication) and I was not able to connect to VPN or outside users.

I called Verizon to determine if issue is related to FiOS connection but they indicated there are no issues. I connected FiOS directly to laptop (bypassing ASA), updated IP info on laptop to match static IP for FiOS but could not get internet connection. Verizon decided to send a tech over to check FiOS equipment.

The Verizon Tech came on Monday and indicated that there are no issues with Verizon equipment and was able to verify internet access

While the Verizon tech was working on troubelshooting, the cisco ASA was powered off and unplugged from ac outlet for few hours.

I was left with either having a bad ASA or switch. I tried one last time to plug and power on the ASA on and internet connection started working. Not sure what was the issue or how to determine the cause. One think I noticed the VPN light on ASA was not on when we had no internet access.

Is there way to determine the cause if it is related to a bad ASA that is failing? or maybe the issue was our FiOS but Verizon did not want to admit to it.

1 Reply 1

Luis Silva Benavides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Now that the ASA has been rebooted is hard to know what happenned. It can be a HW issue or either a block depletion issue. The best way to troubleshoot the issue will be to see how far can you get from an internal PC and from the ASA itself (Ping the DG and a public server). Take captures and check the syslogs. Also check the memory blocks (show blocks). Or you can open a severity case with TAC.

HTH

Luis Silva

"If you need PDI (Planning, Design, Implement) assistance feel free to reach"

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/pdihd.html

Luis Silva
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card