cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between other and toal vpn peers

vnon3luv701
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, what's the difference between these two below? A bit confused. I have 10 IPSEC Cisco VPN Client but what are the other 2 vpn use for? Thank you.  Search result still can't figure it out. 

• Other VPN Peers: This value defines the maximum number of concurrent IPsec site-to-site tunnels and IKEv1-based remote-access sessions that can terminate on a particular Cisco ASA platform. This capacity can extend from 10 to 25 by installing the Security Plus license on the Cisco ASA 5505; on all of the other models, the software sets this limit depending on the hardware capabilities.
  • Total VPN Peers: This quantity defines the maximum number of any concurrent VPN sessions that can terminate on a given Cisco ASA platform. This licensed capacity is equal to the count of Other VPN Peers on all models with the exception of the Cisco ASA 5505, where it depends on the Security Plus and AnyConnect Essentials licenses.

output from my asa

Other VPN Peers    10    
Total VPN Peers    12

6 Replies 6

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Every ASA comes with a default 2 licenses for use for SSLVPN (with Anyonnect VPN client or client-less browser based). So the Total is combination of the 10 Other VPN  concurrent Peers (IPsec site to site and remote access) and SSLVPN concurrent sessions.

Hi Rahul, thank for a quick reply. Just for clarification, I have 2 SSL VPN (Anyconnect) and 10 IPSEC using Cisco VPN Client? Will I need to maintain a license to use the 2 SSL VPN because looking at the price guide for AnyConnection license it looks like they're a yearly subscription, wondering if the 2 SSL VPN that comes with the ASA it is it a separate license or free?

Thank you.  

The 2 concurrent SSLVPN user comes with the ASA by defaul and is free to use without any additional license. If you need more than 2 SSLVPN users connected to the ASA at a time, then you would need to purchase the Anyconnect Plus or Apex license for the number of users required.

Hi Rahul, thank you again I have one last question so the 10 IPSEC I can use Cisco VPN Client and it's free with no licensing? 

Yes, you should be able to use the Cisco VPN client for up to 10 concurrent users without any additional license. But just FYI, the Cisco VPN client is End of Life and Support as of 2014. Also, it only supports operating systems up to Windows 7.

Thank you have a great new year ahead :) 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card