cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need Threat Defense with a FirePower 1140 firewall?

grahamgardner
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to upgrade to a Cisco Firepower 1140 firewall but the added cost of having all three Threat Defense Licenses makes it pretty expensive as it increases the cost of the solution by almost double. I am wondering if we dont go for the additional Threat Defense licensing, what are we missing out on? Do we still end up with a great usable firewall? Obviously we will be purchasing additional per user VPN licensing but the Threat Defense licenses are fairly pricey. We are a 50 user team in a single office location made up of regular desktop users.

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Licenses you're talking about are for IPS (Threat protection), Malware and URL Filtering. You can buy all of them or some of them (for example Threat + Malware or Malware only or ...). If you don't buy them, you'll have your firewall working as a standard FW without these extra protections. You can add them afterwards without issues.

Also, if you don't want to use these features, you can make the decision to go with ASA code only instead of FTD unified image.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have any other security solution in your environment? I'd only recommend forgoing Threat Defense if there was a strong implementations of things like Umbrella and possibly AMP for Endpoints to supplement the security posture.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card