cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

domainname-object ASA

amit bhatnagar
Level 1
Level 1

On our ASA we have below configration , just want to understand the what is impact of having domain name different in name of object in ASA .

We have done migration , so do we need to change the name of all the object or its only local significant . please advise

domain-name a-i.com

no names

name 1.1.1.1 INET_A_ab-i.com

name 1.1.1.2 INET_A_abc-i.comOn our ASA we have below configration , just want to understand the what is impact of having domain name different in name of object in ASA .
We have done migration , so do we need to change the name of all the object or its only local significant . please advise
domain-name a-i.com
no names
name 1.1.1.1 INET_A_ab-i.com
name 1.1.1.2 INET_A_abc-i.com

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Using the "name" command in the ASA should only have a cosmetic affect.

If you have an IP address that also has a "name" configurations and the "names" configuration is enabled then the "name" shows up in the configurations where the IP address of the host is used instead.

If you were to remove the "name" configuration then naturally the IP address would show but nothing else should change.

You seem to have "no names" configured so the configured "name" should not even show up in the configuration at the moment.

In the older softwares the "name" replaced the IP address in many configurations but in the newer software it doesnt work with ACLs anymore to my understanding.

Hope this helps

- Jouni

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Using the "name" command in the ASA should only have a cosmetic affect.

If you have an IP address that also has a "name" configurations and the "names" configuration is enabled then the "name" shows up in the configurations where the IP address of the host is used instead.

If you were to remove the "name" configuration then naturally the IP address would show but nothing else should change.

You seem to have "no names" configured so the configured "name" should not even show up in the configuration at the moment.

In the older softwares the "name" replaced the IP address in many configurations but in the newer software it doesnt work with ACLs anymore to my understanding.

Hope this helps

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card