cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade ASA image from 8.4(6) to 8.0(5)

dasgill
Level 1
Level 1

I have inadvertently upgraded a Cisco ASA 5505 from ASA software version 8.0(5) to 8.4(6) but he ASA only has 256 MB of RAM which does not meet the memory requirements  for the ASA image 8.4(6) which is 512 MB of RAM. The ASA is in a remote site and has a L2L VPN into the rest of the network.

Can I risk it and let it run until the memory is upgraded or do I roll the ASA software back from 8.4(6) - 8.0(5)? Just a bit concerned that I may loose connectivity to the device if the config is not restore as I connect to it via the outside interface on the internet. 

I have to run the following command to downgrade ASA but a bit concerned about the conversion of the NAT translations for the L2L VPN

'hostname(config)# downgrade /noconfirm disk0:/asa805-k8.bin disk0:/8_0_5_0_startup_cfg.sav'

Grateful for some advise please.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That .sav file should have all the original NAT syntax etc. You can view it to confirm. ("more disk0:/8_0_5_0_startup_cfg.sav")

Remote upgrade / downgrade is always a little daunting, especially crossing major release boundaries. You might try to have a contingency plan in the event that things leave you cut off from the remote device.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That .sav file should have all the original NAT syntax etc. You can view it to confirm. ("more disk0:/8_0_5_0_startup_cfg.sav")

Remote upgrade / downgrade is always a little daunting, especially crossing major release boundaries. You might try to have a contingency plan in the event that things leave you cut off from the remote device.

Thank you very much. The downgrade was successful and the NAT statements were restored. I will get the  memory upgraded and try again

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card