Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrading Fpr 1120

shaanthomas70
Level 1
Level 1

All, 

I have just received a Cisco FPR  1120 with FTD. The unit came with software version 6.5 installed. My company wants me to downgrade it to 6.4.0.4. Does anyone have any I instructions on how to downgrade this device. I have not touched a firewall in 10 years. I tried researching for the solution but I got confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob,

Thank you for taking the time out to help. I will perform the downgrade tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it goes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob,

Thanks for your quick reply. I do have one question. Is downgrading from 6.5 to 6.4 considered downgrading to the previous major conversion? I read the Reimage the System with a new software version section. There is a note between the first and second paragraphs. The note states that to downgrade to a previous major version you must have to perform a complete reimage. I think a major version would be from 6 to 5. But I don’t know. I am just asking because I don’t want to make this box a paper weight. Thanks for the help

6.4 and 6.5 are considered major versions.

Yes, perform a complete re-image. If you read the notes carefully - "This procedure reformats the entire system, erases the images, and returns it to its factory default settings. After performing this procedure, you must download the new software images and reconfigure your system." So make sure you have permission to download the correct software image from the cisco website for your hardware before you format/erase the current image.

Rob,

Thank you for taking the time out to help. I will perform the downgrade tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it goes.

I'd ask why does management want you to move from one out of date version to an even more out date version. The better alternative would be to upgrade.

The current recommended release is 6.6.1. The managing FMC must be at 6.6.1 or higher but it should also be upgraded (and continue to manage any other 6.4.x etc. devices).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card