Views
Helpful
Replies

easiest way to monitor wan interface bandwidth usage on ASA

erwee1973
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, hopefully simple question.

I have to support various types of firewalls and this time I want to measure for a couple of days, the bandwidth usage of the customers' wan connection.

In the customers asa, I have enabled the 'Top usage status' in the firewall dashboard for last 24 hours (hopefully this doesn't impact memory too much)

What I actually need (I think) is a tool , e.g. an snmp tool that gathers all stats every 10 seconds and collects this in a file. This file I want to read by a program that displays it in a graphical chart/ pie.

Does anyone has experience with this and what do you use for this?

Preferably I don't want to install software, just run an executable on the customers server, to reduce the stuff that is installed on the server, which is managed by other people.

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,

Ralph Willemsen

Arnhem, Netherlands

1 Reply 1

It really depends on how indepth you want to go with your monitoring.  You could issue the show interface command and view the details there.  You could also view the top talkers on the ASDM dashboard. And another option is to use Netflow.

Outside of that you would need to get either get Cisco Prime or another 3rd party monitoring software.

--

Please remember to rate helpful posts and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card