Views
Helpful
Replies

Editing the PIX Config file on a floppy

ewai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My company is switching to a new T1 line and I have to change all my IP settings in the Firewall. I know I can save the existing config on a floppy. I just want to know if Cisco has a software tool that allows me to take that config file and edit it and then imported back into the PIX. This will save me from the manual work of deleting every entry and editing them in my exisiting production PIX.

Thanks

Tom

3 Replies 3

ywadhavk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas,

You could copy the current config into a notepad, make the changes to this config file in notepad and then copy and paste it onto the pix while in config mode.

You should be connected to the pix on console to do this safely.

Thanks,

yatin

Hi yatin,

Thanks for the reply. When you say copy, do you mean line by line or the whole static and conduit lines in a bunch?

TIA

Thomas

Hi -

It's upto you, if you are editing just one line then copy that line from the config and pate onto a text editor (notepad) and make the change you require, do the same if you want a 'bunch' of lines also remember to place the 'no' cmd on top of your edited static / conduit lines before you paste back the changed config.

i.e. no or no

This way the edited config will remove the old copy and replace it with the new copy because you applied the 'no' cmd (hope this makes sense).

Remember to do a 'wr m' (write memory) after you have made the changes and also if you are changing 'statics' do a 'clear xlate' (clear translations).

Hope this helps - -

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card