cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Erase Old Cisco PIX Beyond Any Recoverability

JASON MARTIN
Level 1
Level 1

I have an old Cisco PIX that was configured with multiple site-to-site VPNs which were migrated to a new ASA last year.  The same IP addresses, PSKs, etc. are still active on the new ASA so config info stored on the PIX is still valid.  I would like to wipe the memory on the PIX beyond any recover-ability, to same DoD specs for erasing HDDs.  I don't care to leave the ASA in a usable state after - it's going to the recycle center.  I would like to avoid opening the case to remove internal parts.

I'm aware of the process to restore to factory defaults but how secure is that process?  If some hacker were to get the PIX could deleted data be recovered from the memory?  Does Cisco certify any process for securely erasing/destroying data?

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco had a download that would actually overwrite the flash with zeroes that you could use. It's no longer available since this product is long past end of life. Even if you had a copy, it is not DoD spec compliant for sanitization.

Unfortunately, your option at this point would be to open up the case and physically destroy the internal memory card.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco had a download that would actually overwrite the flash with zeroes that you could use. It's no longer available since this product is long past end of life. Even if you had a copy, it is not DoD spec compliant for sanitization.

Unfortunately, your option at this point would be to open up the case and physically destroy the internal memory card.

Noted. Thank you for replying.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card