Views
Helpful
Replies

Error message when trying to configure FTD data interface management

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have a brand new FTD 1010 and want to manage it via the outside data interface. However, after entering the command 

"configure network management-data-interface", I receive the following error message

"Error: This command is not supported when Management interface is not configured to use a static address"

I already manage another FTD that is configured to use a DHCP address on the outside interface so I am not sure what this error refers too? Maybe I should answear no here when asking for configure IPv4 during the setup wizzard?

Capture.JPG

Thanks

Chess

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Chess Norris "Although you do not plan to use the Management interface, you must set an IP address, for example, a private address. You cannot configure a data interface for management if the management interface is set to DHCP, because the default route, which must be data-interfaces (see the next bullet), might be overwritten with one received from the DHCP server"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/670/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v67/device_management_basics.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

what you config until this message appear ?

Thanks A Lot
MHM

Just the basic setup via the Wizzard (hostname, DNS, etc.) 

When I got the question "Configure IPv4 via DHCP or manually", I answered DHCP, which probably caused this error. 

I then re-run the wizzard and configured a manual adress (just took a random inside address). After that I was able to run the "configure network management-data-interface" command. 

/Chess 

@Chess Norris "Although you do not plan to use the Management interface, you must set an IP address, for example, a private address. You cannot configure a data interface for management if the management interface is set to DHCP, because the default route, which must be data-interfaces (see the next bullet), might be overwritten with one received from the DHCP server"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/670/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v67/device_management_basics.html

Thanks Rob, All good now.

After I configured the data interface for management,  I ran the command "> configure network ipv4 delete "  to get rid of the temporary static management IP. 

/Chess

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card