cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error Upload failed: Update is not a signed package on FMC

CiscoBrownBelt
Level 6
Level 6

Attempting to upload 7.2.4 FTD software to FMC but keep getting the error below. Any help?

Error

Upload failed: Update is not a signed package. 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @CiscoBrownBelt Do not untar signed upgrade packages.

It's a different package for the physical FTD hardware and the FTDv.

Example:-

Cisco 1000 upgrade - Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP1K_Upgrade-7.2.4-165.sh.REL.tar
Cisco 2100 upgrade - Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP2K_Upgrade-7.2.4-165.sh.REL.tar
Virtual upgrade - Cisco_FTD_Upgrade-7.2.4-165.sh.REL.tar

View solution in original post

The .mf and .vmdk are just for the initial installation of FTDv.  Once the FTDs are installed and setup you only use the .tar file (unpacked) to perform upgrades.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

The .SPA files are for Firepower Chassis Manager only. For upgrades on FMC use the .tar.gz upgrade files.

12 Replies 12

@CiscoBrownBelt the upgrade packages are signed tar archives (.tar), did you untar the package file before uploading? If so, don't untar the upgrade package before uploading.

Hi Rob. No I didn't. None of the FTD files I have are .tar they are .mf and .vmdk

Looks like I have to use the upgrade .tar file? Will that work for FTD and a FTDv?

Hi @CiscoBrownBelt Do not untar signed upgrade packages.

It's a different package for the physical FTD hardware and the FTDv.

Example:-

Cisco 1000 upgrade - Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP1K_Upgrade-7.2.4-165.sh.REL.tar
Cisco 2100 upgrade - Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP2K_Upgrade-7.2.4-165.sh.REL.tar
Virtual upgrade - Cisco_FTD_Upgrade-7.2.4-165.sh.REL.tar

Awesome thanks!

The .mf and .vmdk are just for the initial installation of FTDv.  Once the FTDs are installed and setup you only use the .tar file (unpacked) to perform upgrades.

--

Great thanks!

Dksmith
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting the same error when trying to upload the .SPA file to the FMC to upgrade.

The .SPA files are for Firepower Chassis Manager only. For upgrades on FMC use the .tar.gz upgrade files.

Ahh, that was it! In the past, I was thinking I could get the appliance and FMC upgrades from the same page. Thanks Marvin!

What about updating the VDB. Do you think that is not necessary if not upgrading the FMC software? Any potential issues when just updating the VDB and not FMC?

I plan to upgrade Virtual FMC from 7.0 to 7.2 and downloaded the file: Cisco_Secure_FW_Mgmt_Center_Virtual_VMware-7.2.4-169.tar.gz to local drive and then try to upload it to FMC, I got the same error: 

Error

Upload failed: Update is not a signed package.

What is wrong or what should I do to fix it?

If you are trying to upgrade the FMC that is not the image you need.  Download the following from cisco.com and it should work.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 08.20.02.png

In the future please open a new discussion instead of piggybacking on an existing discussion, this so it is easier to follow your issue and correct answers will can be assigned to the experts helping you.

--
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card