cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error writing tftp:// (Undefined error) copy IOS image from flash to the tftp server failed (ASA 5515 X)

r.friedrichs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

Unfortunately, I deleted my ASA 5515X completly. So the device doesn't boot, i got only the rommon prompt.

So I try to backup the image from a second equal firewall:

Laptop: 192.168.11.116

Firewall: 192.168.11.5

For the TFTP server I used "PumpKin" and the firewall is connected with the G0/1 Port on the laptop, using putty via SSH:

Router#>copy flash tftp

source file name? asa861-2-smp-k8.bin

remote host? 192.168.11.116

----

First, it looks good - but when the copy is "finished" i got this error:

%Error writing tftp://192.168.11.116/asa861-2-smp-k8.bin (Undefined error)

---

But when I look in the folder, there is the asa861-2-smp-k8.bin image with ca. 33MB. I tried it 3 oder 4 times......even the same.

It's very important for me, to fix it this week..... This are my "first" steps with Cisco and specially firewalls.

Thanks in advance,

sfinke

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Pretty much every problem I ever had with TFTP has always been related to the host acting as the TFTP server. Either there has been a problem with permission to write a file to the folder used as the root of the TFTP server or something else wrong with the server software.

I would suggest trying with TFTPD called TFTP server software. Or perhaps even with a different computer just to rule out possible problems with a antivirus / windows firewall on the PC.

You can use a single command to try to copy the file from the flash

copy flash:/asa861-2-smp-k8.bin tftp://192.168.11.116/

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Pretty much every problem I ever had with TFTP has always been related to the host acting as the TFTP server. Either there has been a problem with permission to write a file to the folder used as the root of the TFTP server or something else wrong with the server software.

I would suggest trying with TFTPD called TFTP server software. Or perhaps even with a different computer just to rule out possible problems with a antivirus / windows firewall on the PC.

You can use a single command to try to copy the file from the flash

copy flash:/asa861-2-smp-k8.bin tftp://192.168.11.116/

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

thanks for you good answer. I tried tftpd32 and it works!!!

So, i had copy the image to the laptop and restore it to the broken firewall successfully.

But when I use the commands, I didn't see the image:

sh flash

sh disk0

---

So, even when I reload the firewall, the IOS is lost again. How can I save it permanently  on the firewall?

Thanks!!!

//edit:

I fixed the problem by myself:

I must download the image again to my flash/disk...

ciscoasa#copy tftp://192.168.11.116/asa861-2-smp-k9.bin flash:/

and after the download once again, I select the image to the boot system

ciscoasa(config)#boot system disk0:asa861-2-smp-k9.bin

ciscoasa(config)#write mem

----

Done!!!

Thanks a lot and a nice week!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card