Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA Conecting to Phishing and Malware Domains

cmoralesh83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a very odd problem, since I established a DNS policy in my FMC to prevent malicious DNS responses, I detected that my ESA is making querys to a malicious site. Those are being block by the ASA, but still...... why the ESA is making those malicious connections. May someone explain this scenario?

I'm Uploading the SI analisys and the IoC marked on the ESA.

I'll appriciate some feed back.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is your ESA in the path for outbound email?

Not at all, we only have the inbound license and our mail server is handeling the outgoing mail.

That's really odd. According to the Admin Guide section on necessary communications paths:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/esa/esa11-1/user_guide/b_ESA_Admin_Guide_11_1/b_ESA_Admin_Guide_appendix_0101110.html

...none of that should be happening. I would try looking at a capture of some of the packets and verifying they are coming from the ESA and not from something else spoofing/ duplicating its IP address. If it is indeed coming from the ESA then I would open a TAC case straight away.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card