cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 1120 Hardware Initial Setup

Frowny
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, please excuse me for lack of knowledge.

We recently purchased Firepower 1120, and I'm stuck at the hardware setup. 

First, I was following the instruction https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/1100/hw/guide/hw-install-1100/console.html, but things didn't go quire right.  I connected my laptop and Firepower 1120 using USB cable (connected to the console port on Firepower 1120), and when I checked baud, it said 2400.  I tried to change it to 9600 as it says in the instruction, but it could not be done.

Second, I tried to connect by using the network cable plugged into the Management port (Management 1/1) of Firepower 1120 and typed in 192.168.45.1 (computer's IP set to 192.168.45.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway blank) in my browser, it could not connect at all.

I'm completely lost.  Could someone tell me what I may be doing wrong?  Sorry this is such an entry level question.

6 Replies 6

• 9600 baud
• 8 data bits
• No parity
• 1 stop bit

all these I think you need 

I already tried that but unfortunately it did not let me change it from 2400 to 9600 baud.  No change could be made.  Please see my original post.

https://www.google.com/search?q=firepower+USB+cable+console&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHrarH1839AhWaRvEDHTKCBx8Q_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1366&bih=625&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:6d3015f5,vid:Vpt7217QIn0
OK access via lan and use IP 
192.168.1.1 in browser 
dont specify IP I think the FPR assign IP to PC via DHCP for first time connection. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

its all what code it shipping with box.

First for the console - you need to set the Baudrate before connecting to device.

what terminal Client you using ? download latest putty easy to configure, once all set as below :

balajibandi_1-1678329877812.png

Then turn on the FTD and you able to view the console messages its booting. and you can use quick startup guide.

Review the Network Deployment

The dedicated Management 1/1 interface is a special interface with its own network settings. By default, the Management 1/1 interface is enabled and configured as a DHCP client. If your network does not include a DHCP server, you can set the Management interface to use a static IP address during initial setup at the console port. You can configure other interfaces after you connect the threat defense to the management center.

balajibandi_0-1678329775318.gif

Note

In 6.5 and earlier, the Management interface is configured with an IP address (192.168.45.45).

Note : make sure the console cable working and tested with other device. or you can connect to manangment and test pinging 192.168.45.45 see is the pings ?

another option you can setup a DHCP Server on your Laptop also (using TFTP64 portable has DHCP Server, so FTD can mgmt port latest code default DHCP client.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your reply.  With regards to the serial port, there appeared to be some issues with the driver (apparently, there seem to be several others who had similar issues), so I solved it this way, but I still seem to have some issues.  I've also tried using PuTTY per your advice, which I have used PuTTY before for accessing our website to upload files in the past, but I never used it for serial connection before, but when I tried to change it to the port I am seeing in the Device Manager and "Open", it did not do anything.  I did not see Terminal window.  So, instead, I used Windows Command Prompt (this was what I used yesterday), but it is giving me discrepant information from what I see in the Device Manager:

Snip1.PNG

Snip2.PNG

And of course, same as yesterday, it wouldn't let me change the baud rate.  I don't know which information is correct.

Because of this, I'm kind of stuck at this stage, and I did not get to connecting to the Management 1/1 today.

only connect cable to managment and enter 192.168.1.1 in browser. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card