cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 7125 EOL soon, What to replace with?

tahscolony
Level 1
Level 1

Last day of support is June 30 2024, so little more than 2 years before being replaced, and Cisco has not gone above 6.4 code for these appliances.   The company doesn't leave EOL unsupported network hardware running in service for very long except switches that have spares and are not a security threat, so time to start looking into replacements.  I am not seeing a standalone wired appliance anymore and these things have been amazingly stable, rock solid performers with fail to wire working flawlessy during upgrades.  I get daily updates from Cisco regarding bugs and such and the vast majority of bugs and issues hit the embedded ASA Firepower devices, which concerns me as an impact on Firepower on an ASA could also bring the ASA down, leaving us DITW, where an appliance issue would fail to wire and leaves us still functioning.

What is the next solution for replace these devices? Will we forced into the firewall/IPS solution in the end?  The all eggs in one basket approach is not something we prefer.

9 Replies 9

@tahscolony according to this cisco documentation below, the Firepower 2100 series hardware is the replacement for the 7125.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firepower-7000-series-appliances/eos-eol-notice-c51-741685.html

Here is the 2100 series datasheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firepower-2100-series/datasheet-c78-742473.html

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check here recommended : (Product migration options)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firepower-7000-series-appliances/firepower-7000-eol.html

This is based on the information. You can also contact partner can help right model after reviewing your new requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

tahscolony
Level 1
Level 1

I did not realize it can be either or, thought the 2100 series was a dual  like the current 5555-X is, which are EOL 18 months later.  This is good news, and will give it all a good read.

If you have budget you can 2100 model, that is medium sized kit, depends on the load and where this was locating in the network.

BB

tahscolony
Level 1
Level 1

OK, after going through the spec sheet, looks like the 2130 model will be able to replace the 7125's as well as provide 10G connectivity.  They were asking about a 10G firewall, so this would be a good option for our hub to AWS.

it got 10GB Firewall throughput - if the cost is marginal i go with 2140 it got 20GB Firewall throughput.

You looking any NGFW features like IPS ? 2130 5G/5G compare to 2140 9G/9G

BB

tahscolony
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 3120 running 7.4.1 now in Multi Instance mode. One will be a Secure Firewall instance running FTD, the other will be the IPS to replace the 7125.  What I need now is documentation showing how to configure the FTD to replace the 7125.  Do I configure as Routed, or Transparent?  I have the policy used on the 7125, however I cannot assign the Zone to the Inline pair.  If I try to create a new zone, the Inline pair doesn't show up.  Should I reconfigure the FTD to be routed instead?

Draw how your existing network looks like.

check multi instance config here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/threat-defense/use-case/multi-instance-sec-fw/multi-instance-sec-fw.html

New FTD can able to use snort 3 support both bump on wire and other.

BB

tahscolony
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out, the policy from the 7125 was "locked" so couldn't be edited, I copied and applied it so now it pulls the correct interfaces. The big thing was not having to recreate the policy in use.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card