Views
Helpful
Replies

FirePower Threat Defense VM

pick25690
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am starting to study for CCIE security and trying to install the FTD virtual appliances. No matter what I try or what version I use it always crashes. IT goes through the installation and gets to a certain point and displays an error about putting the crashinfo in flash, then all the service get stopped and the FTD VM reboots. It just continues in this loop.

I can't even get any information of why it is crashing as as soon as I find something in the CLI and try to take a screenshot it reboots.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan 

13 Replies 13

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What virtualization environment and version are you using?

Hi Marvin,

I am using VMware workstation 12.5.6. I have also tried to install it on a nested ESXI 6.5 host which has the same error.

It installs OK on VirtualBox but doesn't configure the network settings properly as I can not ping anything from it and can't ping the device itself from the host only network adaptor.

Thanks,

Dan 

The FTDv is pretty sensitive to your virtualization settings. Have you reviewed the notes in the Quick Start Guide? It can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/vmware/ftdv/ftdv-vmware-qsg.html

Also, the Release Notes indicate that compatibility is only for ESXi 5.5 and 6.0, AWS or KVM.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/620/6201/relnotes/Firepower_Release_Notes_Version_620x/supported_platforms_and_environments.html

Sometimes we can safely ignore that for lab environments but not always - it depends on how tightly coupled the product is with features in the virtualization environment.

Thanks Marvin. 

I will try and get hold of an ESXI 5.5 ISO and attempt the install on there. 

I have tried installing it on ESXI 5.5 and 6, still getting the same error where it is crashing. Not sure what else to try. 

Can you confirm the file you are using?

It should be "Cisco_Firepower_Threat_Defense_Virtual-6.2.0-363.tar.gz", which unzips and untars to a VMDK and two pair of MF and OVF files. Which OVF are you trying? (The VI one has a script built-in to configure the bootstrap parameters.)

The download location is here:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286306503&flowid=79503&softwareid=286306337&release=6.1.0.4&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Also verify the MD5 is 535c094e84eafa3f67e828c38a88369d

Checked the MD5 of the tar.gz download and it matches what you put. 

It is the ESXI file that I am trying to deploy, the VI one just comes up with invalid property at line 559 (or a number similar to that). 

The ESXI files SHA hash matches that of the one in the manifest file. It just will not install for me on VMware, I have tried on different computers. It works fine on VirtualBox but doesn't populate the management interface with an IP address, if I go into the shell and issue ifconfig I can see the IP address that I have assigned during setup is assigned to br1. I can't ping anything from it only itself and can't add it to FMC.

I have managed to get it up and running from VirtualBox now and added to FMC, messed around with the network settings and looks like I had to select promiscuous mode.

Thanks for your help and quick replies to my issue.

Cheers,

Dan 

Hi pick25690 

I want to set a lab for Cisco FTD on VirtualBox. I would really appreciate if you could share some details on how to do this.

Thanks in Advance.

ANAS

could you please let me know how did you do that in oracle VB and network settings, Or please post your topology

Drthrax
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , This happens when you don't give enough resources to the VM. Try giving the VM 10 GB of ram and I think that should work.

The original post is almost 3 years old - I think he's figured it out by now or moved on. :)

Haha you never know maybe he gave up his network career for this , now he has a chance of gaining it back
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card