Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall and VPN tunnel between two locations

luumanioro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for advice about the firewall ASA5510. I'm planning to get one of ASA5510 for our office in order to secure our network properly, however we have quite specific routing configuration to allow us failover to the remote location (data center) in case of any disaster with our server.

Following (basic) diagram presents our existing network configuration:

network-diag.JPG

I'd like to find out if I can just install firewall between our ISP Ruter and internet and allow traffic to/from Data Centre. In this situation will I have to change routing configuration on Company Router or do I have to do anything with our Company Router

Thank you for your help,

Luu

1 Reply 1

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luu,

If the ASA is in routed mode, it will act as another layer 3 hop and thus you would need to adjust your routing a bit (and re-address the router's interface that faces the Internet).

If you use the ASA in transparent mode, your routing wouldn't change.

Here is the configuration guide for the different modes. Give it a read and it should explain any questions you have about the differences between the two modes and how the ASA would fit into your network:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/fwmode.html

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card