Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC Backup Retention

jmeetze
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a scheduled weekly task to backup our FMC  and FTD Device configs to a remote storage location and have a policy threshold set to 70% of disk.  Currently, there are 13 backups listed in the FMC and 99 backups for our FTDs.  Is there not a way to specify how many backups I wish to keep?  I do not need 99 backups of the FTD devices.  Our disk space is at 65% now and as a result, our backups are not able to complete due to the threshold.  

If anyone out there knows where I can specify how many days or number of backups to keep, please share.  I'd hate to have to go in and manually clean this up.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As of right now there is no option / method for limiting the number of backups to retain. So your option is to manually delete them.  Another option might be to script an API to delete them (though I have not checked if this is supported in APIs on the FMC) then have a Linux machine run a Cron job on a schedule that runs the script. 

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure it comsume more space when ever you take backup.

even though you have more version of backup sometime not usefull. i keep 2 or 3 copies of version to restore to old known good config.

Again this all depends on the Policy of business and data to be retain (since this is config backup, 3 know good config is good enough, rest you can delete i guess here)

hope that help you.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @balaji.bandi ,

My question is more about an automated method to clean backups after so many days instead of having to manually go in and clean up backups.  So for your example, let's so you only want to keep the 3 most recent backups.  It seems like there would be a setting for that or a way to specify how many days of backups you wish to keep and then the FMC automatically purges or overwrites older backups with new ones.  Instead, if you do not go in and manually delete the backups, eventually you will hit your space threshold.  

As of right now there is no option / method for limiting the number of backups to retain. So your option is to manually delete them.  Another option might be to script an API to delete them (though I have not checked if this is supported in APIs on the FMC) then have a Linux machine run a Cron job on a schedule that runs the script. 

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

May be out-of-the-box scripting or manual delete

My case we offload backup to external folders, so based on the date and data available the script delete automatically leaving the last 3 known backup will be retained.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card