cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC monitoring in SolarWinds-Orion (through Agent & SNMP)

BaVir160195
Level 1
Level 1

We are using SolarWinds-Orion as our centralized monitoring tool and we are also monitor the Cisco Firepower Management Center(FMC) & Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) as part of it.

While running the custom report for 'Device Inventory' on SolarWinds, i found the FMC serial number is not able to poll by SolarWinds. after deep digging, i found that we need to deploy "Windows & Unix/Linux Servers: Agent" on the FMC to get the serial number of the machine.

Is it really safe..? and the deployment doesn't affect any other service on FMC..?

Few SolarWinds-Orion Link/URLs of agent deployment:

Windows & Unix/Linux Servers: Agent - Link

Deploy an agent manually to a Linux/Unix-based - Link

Also, please refer the thwack.solarwinds.community - Link which confirm once again about the deployment of agent is need for serial number & better health monitoring.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Instead of using the admin account, you can create another account equal to admin and use that for monitoring.

as long as it as kept safe i do not see any issue, since you like to monitor.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firepower Management Center doesn't really support adding in third party SNMP agents.

I tried in my environment to follow the manual Agent install for SolarWinds and it failed.

<snip>

Downloading installation data from Orion Poller...
Downloading installation package for autodetected distro: # WARNING : OS_DISTRO is not defined. Setting to <unknown>.
unknown-# WARNING : OS_VERSION is not defined. Setting to 1.0.
1.0-x64
Downloading of installation package for autodetected distro failed or package not usable.
Trying package specified by user: rhel-5.0-x64
Downloading finished, starting the installation.
Installation failed. For additional information see log file '/tmp/swiagent-failed-install-2021-Apr-05T03:07:04+0000-KXW8'
root@sfvdc:~#

I tried both the script-based as well as the wget/curl-based manual methods (both run as superuser from the FMC cli) in addition to the Add Node wizard in SolarWinds.I believe it is because FMC uses a custom Linux distribution:

root@sfvdc:~# uname -r
4.14.131sf.westmere-secure-2
root@sfvdc:~#

BaVir160195
Level 1
Level 1

@Marvin Rhoads :  Thanks for time to give a try.!

I agree unlike other flavor of Linux, Cisco is using custom build called "Fire Linux OS". but just to know, did you also check the dependency of agent package.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card