cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC shows Disk Usage Sep 26, 2023 6:57 AM / using 89%: 3.0G

gmore
Level 1
Level 1
FMC is on 7.0.5. I am seeing disk space 89% and due to this my backup is failing.  Please guide how to fix this.

TEST-XXXX-FMC-01:/var/log$ df -kh
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 3.7G 3.0G 414M 89% /
10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can start by identifying the largest files. Run the following command as root user (i.e., "sudo su -" first):

find /var -type f -exec du -Sh {} + | sort -rh | head -n 15

Eric R. Jones
Level 4
Level 4

You didn't mention it so I'm going to suggest checking System > Tools > Backup > Restore > Backup Management

Check "Firewall Management Backups" and find the last page. Select the check box and remove those backups until you get the 1st/2nd page.

Check the "Device Backups" and find the last page. Select the check box and remove those backups until you get to the 1st/2nd page.

We recently have run into an issue with our FPR 2110 where it hit over 80% and couldn't pass the check readiness portion of the upgrade process. I went in and removed old install files from 6.6.X as we are on 7.2.4. I found plenty of old files to remove and got it under 70%. The next day I ran the check readiness tool and it failed again because it went over 70%. This triggered the failure during check readiness. 

I can't find large enough files to remove it and the TAC engineer thins it's a bug. Waiting to schedule a webex to find out more.

thanks Eric !

There were not much files but I deleted 6-7 files but still same.

Did you check the command I suggested on 9-26?

You could also be hitting this bug below. the link has a work around.

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwb34240

I tried 9-26 and below are the large files.

4.4G /var/opt/CSCOpx/databases/vms/vms.db
4.3G /var/opt/CSCOpx/upgrade/fmc/dbdata/7.0.1/vms.db
3.3G /var/common/core_1696168400_US-VA-IAD-FMC-01.iri.int_mariadbd_6.11468
2.0G /var/sf/updates/Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-7.0.5-72.sh.REL.tar
1.7G /var/common/192.168.160.203-cd6d7f40-dd4f-11ea-be2d-98ca4c71559d-troubleshoot.tar.gz
1.1G /var/lib/mysql/sfsnort/packet_log_1568897640_0.MYD

Eric R. Jones
Level 4
Level 4

So we just cleaned up our issue via TAC. We went in and we ran through some commands to track down a bunch of files. Here is the output from my WebEx. I recommend opennng a webex unless your really confident/comfortable in your regex skills to parse the file for proper date formats and understand Linux/Unix commands. I don't have the mysql commands. It didn't require a reload of the device but we did restart a few of the processes so that disk space would be re-read.

"Webex summary: Disk space on /ngfw was showing 72% used. We removed older mysql directories from the device but this only regained 1% disk space. We used the command 'du -s ./* | sort -n -r | head -n 20' to drill down through the filesystem to identify what was taking up space. The directory '/ngfw/Volume/root2/ngfw/var/cisco/deploy/pkg/var/sf/lsp/active-lsp' was using the greatest amount of space, with several small 40 byte files and a large archive file which was the current lsp. We were unable to find anything else which could be deleted to free space."

In every instance of high disk usage issues I have seen it has been related to logrotate not being implemented correctly after upgrades.  During your TAC session did the engineer check the logrotate files?  @Marvin Rhoads has linked to the bug related to this issue, and I have also done a write-up on it in the link below.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-knowledge-base/ngfw-high-unmanaged-disk-usage/ta-p/4927059

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

There are several bugs that can cause this. As @Marius Gunnerud correctly noted, the logrotate one is the most common by far.

Another is related to Geodb files. That's why I asked to check for the largest files.

That was one of the first things we looked at, GeoDB files.

Yes, we went over that and it was working. We also have NFS syslog working.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card