cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMCv smart license for ASA 5525-X

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have a pair of ASA 5525-X that I want to convert to FTD image. I built a new FMCv 6.6 to manage them.

I converted the ASA firepower classic licenses to the smart license already. I also registered the new FMC to the license portal...But the license quantities FMCv are all still shown as 0 (screenshots below)...I have not register the ASA (FTD image) to FMCv yet though. I know the AnyConnect licenses would not show the proper quantity until some managed device started using the anyconnect license. But I thought the other licenses (URL, Malware and Threat) would show proper quantity even no device is using them...

Smart-License.pngFMC-Smart-License.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You need to register the FTDs to the FMC and then select the licenses you want to apply to the device under the Devices tab.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

@m1xed0s wrote:

So without devices register, the license counts in FMC would stay as 0 even there are licenses in smart license portal?

That's correct.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You need to register the FTDs to the FMC and then select the licenses you want to apply to the device under the Devices tab.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

So without devices register, the license counts in FMC would stay as 0 even there are licenses in smart license portal?

@m1xed0s wrote:

That's correct.

Okey, thanks...I thought the quantity for URL, Malware and Threat would be shown with/without device registered...But that might be my memory with the FTD platforms... 

The behavior you describe is the case for classic licenses. Not so for Smart licenses.

Classic licenses are assigned to a specific FMC using its license key.

Smart licenses are allocated from the portal based on a registered device specifically requesting them. In the case of FMC, that request is triggered by assigning the license type(s) to a registered device.

Okey, thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card