Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD 2100 HA Pair

benolyndav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

We have a Pair of FTD 2100 in HA I have been tasked with breaking this HA pair as we are reverting to single device, i cant seem to find any decent documentation on this can anyone point me to this and also provide instructions on breaking the pair succesfully and then bring the single device online again.?

P.s i will be using FMC for this

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@benolyndav 

You seem to be confusing step 5 under "Task 6 - Disable HA" with "Task 5 Break the HA pair".

Task 5 makes no mention of requiring to run that command you provided. Just run the steps in the task 5 section to break the HA.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi @benolyndav 

Have you seen this cisco guide:-

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-management-center/212699-configure-ftd-high-availability-on-firep.html#anc5

It has a section covering breaking the HA configuration, once the HA configuration is broken the secondary device has the configuration removed and you can re-deploy.

HTH

Hi Rob
So am I correct here
To remove HA pair for the 2100's

1. delete high availability
2. on both devices run configure high-availability disable
3. ?? not sure what the next step is ??

Thanks

Follow Task 5. Break the HA Pair in that guide. Which will break the HA and erase the configuration on the Standby node except the ACP. The configuration will be retained on the Primary node.

Hi

Still a bit confused here (apologies). are you saying that only step 5 is needed to completely delete HA pair, then do i just redeploy policies from FMC to primary unit ? no reboot required ??

Step 5. Run this command to remove the failover configuration from the FTD devices:

> configure high-availability disable
High-availability will be disabled. Do you really want to continue?
Please enter 'YES' or 'NO': yes
Successfully disabled high-availability.

@benolyndav 

You seem to be confusing step 5 under "Task 6 - Disable HA" with "Task 5 Break the HA pair".

Task 5 makes no mention of requiring to run that command you provided. Just run the steps in the task 5 section to break the HA.

Thats correct no reboot required. and redeploy the policy.

please do not forget to rate.

Hi sheraz

I was confusing the two tasks 

Thankyou

breakha.PNG

From FMC you can break the HA pair

As a best practice you can remove all data cables (except management and HA cables) from the secondary device.

When you break HA, the configured interfaces on the standby device are automatically disabled.

Hi Sheraz

I'm wanting to completely remove HA and just have one device??

Thanks

@benolyndav as mentioned by @Rob Ingram once you break the HA you have one device only. follow the Task5

Task 5. Break the HA Pair

Eric R. Jones
Level 4
Level 4
Here is a screenshot of where you break HA on the FMC using "light" view of
the FMC UI.

Ha, pic's don't appear if attached to an email I guess.

No problem everyone answered before me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card