cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD not backing up config to remote server

CiscoBrownBelt
Level 6
Level 6

FTD has a regular schedule in FMC, but it never backs up to the remote server as it is configured to do, it always backups to local var. FMC backup to remote server works fine. The TEST button when testing remote connection/server works fine. Initiating backup manually always just backs it up to the FTD var, but not the remote server. Any ideas?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

- I am not sure about SMB , but I would tend to use something else, such as FTP (if possible) , to avoid having to deal  with authentication schemes and the complexity of those , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The FMC-based device backup feature only supports local disk (/var/sf/backups) as the target.

Backup to a remote target only works for FMC backups.

It is not mentioned explicitly - the doc could be better in that section. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/760/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-760/fptd-fdm-mgmt.html#id_14715

They note "Backup copies are not retained indefinitely: as disk space usage on the device reaches the maximum threshold, older backup copies are deleted to make room for newer ones. In addition, when you install any upgrade other than a hot fix, all backup files are deleted. Thus, you should regularly manage the backup files to ensure that you have the specific backup copies you most want to keep. "

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Which transport protocol is used for this backup ? 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

We are using SMB so TCP port 445. I edited above, I meant to say the schedule runs but it always just backups to that local /var location on the FTD and not the remote server.

- I am not sure about SMB , but I would tend to use something else, such as FTP (if possible) , to avoid having to deal  with authentication schemes and the complexity of those , 

M.

Yes that was what I was going to try instead if possible.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The FMC-based device backup feature only supports local disk (/var/sf/backups) as the target.

Backup to a remote target only works for FMC backups.

Thanks Marvin, that stinks. I did not see that in the doc but probably overlooked it.

It is not mentioned explicitly - the doc could be better in that section. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/760/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-760/fptd-fdm-mgmt.html#id_14715

They note "Backup copies are not retained indefinitely: as disk space usage on the device reaches the maximum threshold, older backup copies are deleted to make room for newer ones. In addition, when you install any upgrade other than a hot fix, all backup files are deleted. Thus, you should regularly manage the backup files to ensure that you have the specific backup copies you most want to keep. "

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card