cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD's in different cities: FMC deployment: public or private IP?

jencisco001
Level 1
Level 1
I have a quick question about my unique situation with Firepower (FTD) devices at each city.
I purchased the FMC for 10 licenses. (Firepower Management Center). I have FMC set up locally at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. I am wanting to manage all the FTD's in each city (Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Birmingham, New York, Atlanta, and Miami) via one Web Dashboard... so that's why I did the FMC for 10 licenses for now. Because I have FMC locally now, it is on a private IP: 10.0.X.X/24. However, if I am going to add other cities that are connected via S2S VPN and deploy any config changes, would I create the FMC on a public IP for easier access?

I see two choices:

1. FMC in each city has a local IP address and I deploy any changes via a S2S secure VPN. OR....

2. FMC in each city has a Public IP address and I deploy any changes via the Internet. This might be less secure.

What is the best practice? Has anyone had this situation?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind Regards,
Jen
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As @Rob Ingram noted the sftunnel is encrypted (TLS 1.2 over tcp/8305). Some people are reluctant to expose any management interface to the internet, even encrypted - perhaps with good reason because ...bugs. In that case your option 1 is preferable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

You could NAT the FMC behind the local FTD and manage the other FTD's over the internet, communication between FTD and FMC is secured and encrypted using the sftunnel.

HTH

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As @Rob Ingram noted the sftunnel is encrypted (TLS 1.2 over tcp/8305). Some people are reluctant to expose any management interface to the internet, even encrypted - perhaps with good reason because ...bugs. In that case your option 1 is preferable.

Hi Marvin

Thanks for the reply. So, from your response, option #1 is preferred. 

I would keep FMC and FTD in each city on a local IP Address (Boston, Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Birmingham). Then, I would simply continue to use my Headquarters FMC at Hilton Head Island and add these 6 FMC devices in each city to it with their local IP's for one management web dashboard. ( I have purchased the licensing for this already). The S2S tunnels would be the way that configs are deployed from Hilton Head FMC to the individual Cities like Birmingham. 

I am just typing this out to make sure I understand. There are no Public IP's for any FMC or FTD, correct?

Much appreciated,

Jen

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card