cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTDv in Azure

zi
Level 1
Level 1

Did anyone get FTDv working in azure ? The FTDv is not passing external traffic to the VM . 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jimholla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Let me take a look and get back. It may be tomorrow.

View solution in original post

ewaterwo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What's the basic topology?   And what traffic flows do you want to enable.  Inbound initiated? Outbound initiated?  both?

FTDv

inside  outside        Azure 

VM  -------- gig0/0  gig0/1 ------Internet GW----- Internet

ipVM          ipIN    ipOUT                

..........ipPublic

Is it something like this?   Please confirm or correct as needed.

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

jimholla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Have you watched this YouTube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3tyF9FbUr0&t=1812s

Jim

Yes, i watched all of his videos . and followed his setup sted by step. I've been working with Cisco TAC and MS Azure support for a Week now without any results! 

Thanks for your response.

jimholla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Do you have an open TAC case?

Yes, i do. ( 683998759 ) . If you can help it would be awesome.

jimholla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Let me take a look and get back. It may be tomorrow.

Ok , sounds good .

Thank you for your help :D

ewaterwo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What's the basic topology?   And what traffic flows do you want to enable.  Inbound initiated? Outbound initiated?  both?

FTDv

..........ipPublic

Is it something like this?   Please confirm or correct as needed.

I have a basic topology in Azure , a couple of VM's in Azure and an FTDv . I want to the inbound and outbound traffic to go through the FTDv . The FTDv have 4 NICs, NIC0 (Managment ) - NIC1(Diagnostics) -NIC2(Outside with a public IP) -NIC3(inside, and defined as the next hop of the VM's using UDR's ) . All of these are under 1 Vnet .

Hi Jimholla ,

Did you get the chance to look at this issue, please ?

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I am having similar issues. TAC didn't seem to be knowledgeable on how Azure works with vFTD. Being new to FTD and Azure I am stuck as well.

Hi Patricia,

Here's an example with a typical deployment scenario.  I'm assuming FTDv is registered with FMCv (if not, we can provide some additional info).

FTDv

..........ipPublic

Configure the gig0/0 and gig0/1 interfaces with the Private IP addresses that are assigned to them in Azure (ipIN and ipOUT). ( FTDv gig0/0 maps to the 3rd NIC in Azure.  FTDv gig0/1 maps to the 4th NIC in Azure).   Name them ( "inside" and "outside" for example).  And give them zones ("inside" and "outside" for example").   

Then create a new Public IP in Azure and associated it with your "outside" interface.   This will be the effective Public IP for your backend server.

Once that's done, packets coming from internet will get NATed by Azure to your FTDv outside Private IP (ipOUT).    You would then configure a NAT rule in FTDv (via FMCv gui) to NAT the traffic to the backend IP (ipVM in the diagram).

In FMC->Devices->NAT, create a "Threat Defense NAT" policy and add a rule like this:

This example will send HTTP to the backend server (ipVM):

NAT Rule: Manual NAT Rule
Type: Static
Enable: enabled
Interface objects: source interface: "outside"   destination interface: "inside"
Translation:
Original Source: any-ipv4(0.0.0.0/0)
Original Destination: Source Interface IP
Original Source Port: <blank>
Original Dest Port: HTTP 
Translated Source: Destination Interface IP
Translated Destination: inside-server (an object you create for ipVM)
Translated Source Port: <blank>
Translated Destination Port: HTTP

Once that's done, Packets from the internet should be forwarded to your backend server - they will have a Source IP of FTDv's inside interface (ipIN) which is needed for the return path.

There are variations in how to do this but this is a good example.   

(Also, Make sure no Network Security Groups on the NICs or Subnets are blocking your traffic of interest.)

Thank you! I just configured this NAT policy. One thing I am still confused about is the Azure route tables and how they work with the vFTD. A Cisco video that walked through an Azure setup process had me delete the default routes in the outside and inside Route Tables in Azure and configure one on the vFTD to point to the .1 IP of the outside subnet. The video indicated that once this was done the errors in FMC stating Gig0/0 and 0/1 would go away, but they haven't. 

Off to test my NAT statement with a test RDP box. Will let you know if it worked.

In general, the Azure route tables/UDRs determine what next-hop is used for any given packet. So for traffic you want to route through FTDv, you'd set a UDR route with a next-hop of the FTDv IP. Inside FTDv we set the route on a particular interface to make sure traffic leaves on that interface - and we use the ".1" as the gateway (the built-in Azure router IP on each subnet) so the packet gets handed to Azure routing. The packet will then be routed by whatever is in the UDRs on that subnet.

Ok that makes sense. If I follow you correctly then the vnet my outside interface sits in needs a UDR default route to the internet. FTD default route points to the .1 router of the outside vnet and right now there is no default route. I created a route to 0.0.0.0/0 to point to next hop of Internet. Correct?

This is very helpful!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card