Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability for Hosted Services

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a web server which is mapped with public IP and is available over internet, works fine too. My query is as follows.

If the internet link fails the service won't be accessible over internet. If I have a secondary link, I can change the mapping to the secondary link and with necessary DNS updates the web service will be back online on internet. But there would be a considerable amount of time lag to do this activity. Is there a way to avoid it, that is if the primary link fails the mapping should automatically shifted to the secondary one and DNS also should get updated automatically ??

Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards,

Shijomon Scaria.

4 Replies 4

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

You can achieve your requirement via involvement of your ISP. Both Primary & Secondary Link should be from same ISP and ask them your public IP will be available on both Primary & Secondary link.

Thanks & Best regards;

Dear Ahmed,

Thanks for the reply.

As you know we would prefer secondary link from a different ISP than the primary ISP for obvious reasons.

Regards,

Shijomon Scaria.

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can configure DDNS on ASA for this with IP SLA:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/118962-configure-asa-00.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/asa_84_cli_config/basic_ddns.html#wp1189610

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for the reply. 

But DDNS wont be the correct solution. First of all it is necessary that the link IP will be mapped to the internal server, it could be an IP form the pool provided by ISP. And my question is about providing high availability for mapped web server on internet over two links.

Regards,

Shijo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card