Views
Helpful
Replies

How long to process ASA/Firepower SmartNet contract

Pat Fahey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I recently purchased an ASS5508 and contacted Connection.com to purchase the SmartNet service contract.

It's been nearly a month and Connection.com says Cisco is still processing it, although they cannot get an update from Cisco and Cisco has not asked them any questions.

I've never worked with Connection.com before but the reviews look like they are a legitimate Cisco Partner.

Can anyone who has gone through the new contract process lately tell me how long it is taking these days?  It's been a few years since I had to get a new service contract in place with Cisco.  

Thanks in advance.  -Pat

6 Replies 6

Pat Fahey
Level 1
Level 1

PS:  That's an ASA 5508, not an ASS5508.  For some reason I was unable to edit the post.  Like the Web page isn't working quite right today.

It usually takes 2-3 days when purchased with new hardware from Cisco or via a partner/distributor. Purchasing support after the fact when you have purchased a used device is another thing altogether - Cisco will typically research it to make sure it is not gray market.

However for the ASA 5508 specifically, those are past end of sales and the late date for new service attachment (e.g. Smartnet contract) was August 2, 2022.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/eos-eol-notice-c51-744798.html

Thanks, Marvin.  

The ASA is used.  I purchased it to replace an ASA 5506 used in a lab.  As you mentioned, 5508s are not sold new anymore.  So if Cisco is selling new SmartNet contacts for ASA 5508s, it would have to be intended for used devices, right?

As for previous owner, that can quickly and easily be determined using Cisco’s own tool:  https://ccrc.cisco.com/ccwr/?code=nR9h6cGJ_5144zAYK6elxzztGWKh_kIsSy4AAADK

Just enter the serial number and the previous (or current) owner information pops up.

As I mentioned, this order has been with Cisco for nearly a month now.  Is there any way to check with Cisco to see the status?  The partner says they are unable to get any information from Cisco.

Again, thanks for your help.  -Pat

In the EoS/EoL notice it is stated that no new service contracts can be attached (= sold for all intents and purposes) to ASA 5508s after August 2, 2022. Any vendor still listing them for sale may have an out of date ordering page.

I'll pass that on to the partner.

While I have you can I ask one other related question?

What I was really after is the perpetual Control+Protect license.  When I contacted Cisco they said they could provide a new one (the 5508 I purchased did not have the document with it) if I purchased a SmartNet contract.  Hence, my efforts to get that contract.  

The other option is to buy the license from someone else.  If I purchase a ASA5508 Control+Protect license that is "unused and unopened" will I run into any problems using it with an ASA5508 I purchased from someone else?

Again, thanks for your help.  You are the only one at Cisco who seems to know how this stuff works.

-Pat

The ASA 5508 firepower service licenses (including the free Control + Protect) are PAKs. That one would come on a printed sheet in the new box and also be available in Cisco's internal system.

Unfortunately once something is off support and past-EoS there's no easy way to get that sort of thing. This is why it's often not a good idea to purchase anything used that requires licenses. Many folks have inquired over the years when encountering such obstacles.Unfortunately there's usually not a happy answer. Cisco doesn't really cater to this type of use case and, even if you know the system, you can't get an past-end-of-sales license like that issued.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card