Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change the context size

Luis Carranza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys:

I'm having a problem with a context, I have two CISCO ASA 5550 (failover) and also we have the CISCO CSM to monitoring it, but since some weeks is showing a memory usage of 100% but then it drops until reach zero and then again the graphic goes up. This is the second time that the graphic shows this

I also check this on the CLI and i'ts fine because is showing the real percent, so my question here is why is showing this kind of behavior, I mean it was working fine before. Does anyone have this kind of situation before?

In the other hand I checked the secondary device and this is showing a 99% of used memory, but as the other one this graphic doesn't drop

I also checked via CLI and it says that it had the 99% memory used , Is there a way that i can put more memory on the context or what do you suggest that I can check on my firewalls.

I also open a case with CISCO but they didn't have any luck so far.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ccarring
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luis,

I do not trust the graph produced there (or maybe I should say, we need to confirm 
that it is reporting properly). What I want us to do is create some data points we can look at for comparison. Do you already have a way to get snmp object values? Any network management tool is acceptable, we just want to query a few snmp objects each day at the same time as we get the output from "show mem detail" from each of the contexts, for comparison. If you do not have snmp tools, please download and install net-snmp (www.net-snmp.com) and use it to snmpwalk .1.3.6.1.2.1.1 and .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48;
at about the same time, do "show ver" and "show mem detail". Do that each day
for three days and send me that output. (for convenience, you might just write a
script to do all of these things and append the output to a text file). We have already checked and seen that there are no other problems on the FWSM -
cpu-hogs, memory error syslog messages, traffic dropped, inspection. Has that
changed, is this creating any problems other than a suspicious-looking graph?

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

ccarring
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luis,

I do not trust the graph produced there (or maybe I should say, we need to confirm 
that it is reporting properly). What I want us to do is create some data points we can look at for comparison. Do you already have a way to get snmp object values? Any network management tool is acceptable, we just want to query a few snmp objects each day at the same time as we get the output from "show mem detail" from each of the contexts, for comparison. If you do not have snmp tools, please download and install net-snmp (www.net-snmp.com) and use it to snmpwalk .1.3.6.1.2.1.1 and .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48;
at about the same time, do "show ver" and "show mem detail". Do that each day
for three days and send me that output. (for convenience, you might just write a
script to do all of these things and append the output to a text file). We have already checked and seen that there are no other problems on the FWSM -
cpu-hogs, memory error syslog messages, traffic dropped, inspection. Has that
changed, is this creating any problems other than a suspicious-looking graph?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card