Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find the Container UUID - FMC REST API

sjewhurst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've been playing around with the REST API for FMC today, as I need to test migration from our current ASA Platform. Ideally I'd like to use the API to bulk create subinterfaces, to save me doing it in the GIU (and to ease deployment time).

I've been using postman to explore the API but am tripping up on one point - the container UUID.

I can GET to:

https://172.19.223.20/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/e276abec-e0f2-11e3-8169-6d9ed49b625f/devices/devicerecords

which returns my FTD devices, but if I want to go to the next step and list Physical interfaces the command is:

/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/{domain_UUID}/devices/devicerecords/{container_UUID}/fpphysicalinterfaces/{object_UUID}

I know my object ID is c71def2e-4d34-11e8-8358-93765a5bc537 from the first API call, but I cannot find the container UUID. 

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

/SJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sjewhurst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I solved this issue. The container UUID is the Device UUID. The problem I was facing is that the fpphysicalinterfaces API is designed for NGIPS devices whereas the physicaldevices API is designed for NGFW devices. This was detailed in the documentation but not immediately discernable.

Hopefully this helps anyone else with the same issue.

/SJ

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

sjewhurst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I solved this issue. The container UUID is the Device UUID. The problem I was facing is that the fpphysicalinterfaces API is designed for NGIPS devices whereas the physicaldevices API is designed for NGFW devices. This was detailed in the documentation but not immediately discernable.

Hopefully this helps anyone else with the same issue.

/SJ

Thanks sjewhurst. In the above particular case the containerUUID is the deviceUUID, true, but the container UUID may be different in another situation where the target object is say a security rule. Eg: below, the container UUID is the Security Policy Assignment object and the final target object is the rule within that Policy. So in summary, the ContainerUUID is the parent object's UUID which is what logically binds the object to the overall schema.

JohnNarayanan_2-1674827991978.png

JohnNarayanan_3-1674828141644.png

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card