Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get license key for ASA without Firepower services

sysadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We purchased an 5508-X ASA without purchasing the Firepower services. 

Our ASDM does not have the ASA Firepower Configuration option where we apparently need to register for the Control License. 

Does anyone one know how to get the license Key for your ASA activated if you have a 5508-X without Firepower Services?

We need to get our License Key since we need to be able to download the latest version of the ASA software. 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Control license (which Neno correctly stated is included at no cost with your model) is ONLY needed when using the FirePOWER service module. It is unrelated to your entitlement to download ASA software. 

For entitlement you need your Cisco.com ID associated with the ASA's Smartnet support contract (assuming you have a support contract). This can be done either by your reseller or Cisco TAC. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you post here the exact part number that you were sold? The 5508 ASA comes with the control license (ASA5508-CTRL-LIC) even if you purchase the base ASA5508-K9/K8.

If you are missing then you should be able to contact the reseller and/or Cisco' licensing department and get a new one issued to you. That license is $0 cost. 

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Control license (which Neno correctly stated is included at no cost with your model) is ONLY needed when using the FirePOWER service module. It is unrelated to your entitlement to download ASA software. 

For entitlement you need your Cisco.com ID associated with the ASA's Smartnet support contract (assuming you have a support contract). This can be done either by your reseller or Cisco TAC. 

Neno/Marvin,

Thanks for your help. I can post the exact model on Monday. I will also reach out to the Cisco TAC then as well. I will follow up and really appreciate the help from both of you. 

Thanks

Thanks.

Contacted Cisco TAC this morning and they were able to activate our contract properly.

Appreciate all the help.

Fantastic! Glad your issue was resolved! :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card