Views
Helpful
Replies

How to load an IOS from ROM Monitor in a CISCO ASA 5540

Luis Carranza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys:

I need your help, I was looking in the CISCO webpage how to load an IOS from a tftp server but i got some questions:

I got the information from this webpage:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/admin_trouble.html#wp1177119

rommon #1> ADDRESS=10.132.44.177 <---- Which IP address? the one that I got on my firewall?

rommon #2> SERVER=10.129.0.30 <------- This is the tftp server right?

rommon #3> GATEWAY=10.132.44.1 <------ Is this should be the router?

rommon #4> IMAGE=f1/asa800-232-k8.bin

rommon #5> PORT=Ethernet0/0 <--------- Is this should be the interface that link my firewall to the router?

Sorry if this sounds like something dumb but I really need to understand this because we got some problem with a Firewall that had a boot loop, just to let you know It's a problem related with the bug CSCtb07060, and we want to install the IOS 8.2(4)4 but we didn't understand how to load this IOS so we install another IOS 8.0(4) and that solve the issue for the moment.

So if anybody can help me with this I will really appreciate it.

Regards.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Luis

Basically yes to all your questions. Note that if the ASA is on the same subnet as the tftp server then you wouldn't need the gateway ie. the L3 device that the ASA uses to route to the tftp server subnet.

Edit - although if you have an IOS up and running why use ROMMON, just download the IOS to flash memory -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/admin_swconfig.html#wp1307176

Jon

Well I know that I got an IOS that  is working fine but what happen if I don't have another IOS loaded into  the flash and I need to load another from a TFTP server standing on ROM MONITOR? So that why  I'm asking this.

Regards

Ahh okay, i understand. Then yes, you understand what the settings are for.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card