cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Import ASA config into Packet Tracer

BenH2
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to import Cisco ASA config (which is a live firewall) into packet tracer so I can make test changes before I do the real thing? We have an active and standby firewall and want to make firmware upgrades but not do it on the live Firewall before we test it out and I thought Packet tracer would be a good choice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Some features don't work as expected and some features aren't supported.

You can backup and restore into an ASAv image on either of those solutions or just copy and paste. If you aren't testing on the same hardware certain things will need to be modified like interfaces etc

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @BenH2 

You could probably copy and paste into packet tracer, but I wouldn't recommend using packet tracer.

I'd recommend you using either spare physical hardware or EVE-NG, GNS3 or VIRL/CML-2 rather than packet tracer.

Hi @Rob Ingram,

Appreciate the response, how come you don't recommend Packet tracer?

I'm assuming there's also no way of importing the config into EVE-NG, GNS3 or VIRL either?

Unlike GNS3, EVE-NG and VIRL, which are emulators, Packet Tracer is a simulator, which means it simulates the commands that are coded into it, but does not really parse any from an actual image. However, GNS3, EVE-NG and VIRL support what the actual device image supports, in fact, with these you import the same images you would run on the network devices. This is why Packet Tracer can be good for the NA study level, but not for NP or IE. GNS3, EVE-NG and VIRL would be able to do whatever you could do with the real devices. If they would have any limitations, those limitations would be due to the actual images released by Cisco, but not by the emulators themselves.

Some features don't work as expected and some features aren't supported.

You can backup and restore into an ASAv image on either of those solutions or just copy and paste. If you aren't testing on the same hardware certain things will need to be modified like interfaces etc

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card