Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS Sourcefire throughput

jcarvalh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Cisco states that Sourcefire 8140 can go up to 6G, 8250 up to 10G and that 8360 can go up to 30G. Are these real values?

Does anyone have real throughput values with IPS and APPs service license? I know that throughput can be diferent for the same appliance in diferent conditions; but I am being advised to buy a 8360 for 6 Giga throughput and I think that 8250 should be enough. I would expect 20 to 30% less of throughput not 80% less.

Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks,

João Carvalho.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adhogan
Level 1
Level 1

Those numbers are the throughput you will get if you do IPS only. Including application control (I assume that's what "APPs" means) and Network Discovery would take the expected throughput of a 8140 to 2.5 Gbps. 

I would suggest going with an 8300 over an 8200 since the former has all but replaced the later. 

You should work with your security account manager to identify your requirements and get a recommendation on which appliance fits. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

adhogan
Level 1
Level 1

Those numbers are the throughput you will get if you do IPS only. Including application control (I assume that's what "APPs" means) and Network Discovery would take the expected throughput of a 8140 to 2.5 Gbps. 

I would suggest going with an 8300 over an 8200 since the former has all but replaced the later. 

You should work with your security account manager to identify your requirements and get a recommendation on which appliance fits. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card