cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS Subscription for ASA5545-IPS-K9

JEREMY SPIERS
Level 1
Level 1

My customer has the following - ASA5545-IPS-K9 and previously we have purchased both hardware support AND IPS Signature updates. However, we now discover that he has L-ASA5545-IP3Y= (ASA 5545-X NGFW IPS 3Year (eDel))

If he has the 3 year subscription does he also need the IPS signature updates support contract? I would assume that the 3 year subscription provides the updates. can anyone confirm this confusing matter?

thanks

Jez

3 Replies 3

I would assume that the old subscription is for the legacy IPS that is EOL announced. For the NGFW-IPS, the updates are included in the subscription. But also that IPS is not the actual IPS as Cisco favors FirePOWER nowadays.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "L-ASA5545-IP3Y=" is for the IPS feature on the CX module ("cxsc").

The even older IPS module ("ips") is the one for which the Smartnet contract has the IPS signature update service attached.

The "ASA5545-IPS-K9" was the part number for the 5545 with the old style IPS module image pre-installed. As long as they are still running that, they would need the Smartnet-based updates.

Have them tell you or verify using "show module".

Both those module types are now end of sales but you can continue to renew service contracts or term licenses for them.

As Karsten noted, the newer FirePOWER modules (which include IPS capabilities) are the preferred approach these days,

Karsten, Marvin

thank you for your responses. I'll go back to my client and get the fuller detail - at present we are simply going by the serial numbers they have provided

be assured, if I need further help, I'll be back!

thank you

Jez

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card